Shell Rotella-T oil for ST1300

PilotDave

Dave Wilson
Bike
ST1300 - 2006
STOC #
Has anyone had experience with this product? A recent article in Motorcycle Consumer News indicates it is now JASO-MA compliant.

Comments please and would you recommend the "dino" or synthetic version?

Cordially, Dave Wilson

Don't take it to heart Dave. The number of threads on "Which oil?" have actually caused some motorcycle forums to actually implode in cyberspace.

It's really your choice -- and that's really the only "right" answer. Both dino and synthetics serve the same purpose. One costs more and runs longer. In the end, if you service your ride dutifully, the difference that one will make over the other boils down to a thousand factors that really have little or nothing to do with the oil you select (e.g., how hard you ride, in what conditions, the load you carry, etc.).
:p:

Road Rash has it right except he doesn't mention checking the Owner's Manual to make sure the oil you use is in the temp range in which you'll be riding.

If the oil does *NOT* say "energy conserving" on the 'shield' then it can be used in wet-clutch bikes.

Now GO RIDE! :D
Mark

Ran Rottella in my SuperHawk and it ran well. But I didn't like it in the ST1300, seems to get 'kluncky' quicker. I've used Red top and Gold top, Mobile 1, and Amsoil. I like the Amsoil, but it's a pain to get. I currently use Mobile MC synth, the ST1300 seems shift better, longer on the Amsoil and Mobile MC oils.

YMMV,

Tom de

Rotella and many others are fine- but since Honda pays for any malfunctions/they have a dog in the fight- I'm using GN4 (which also has a terrific reputation). Frankly, unless you get something no one in the game has heard of and it shifts to your liking; its all good.

I've used both the Rotella T 15-40 and the T6 5-40. Lab results came back with better numbers for the 15-40.
The T6 always sheared down to a low 30 weight oil very early 3K miles or less. The 15-40's tend to stay in the grade better. I've also used the Valvoline Premium Blue, Mobil Delvac 1300, and the Chevron Delo400LE. The Delo and the Premium blue's numbers always come back better than the Shell brand in my vehicles. All the HDEO's will work.
In my experience, the shell products always have poor shifting and lots of noise compared to the other brands.
YMMV.
As far as the Honda OEM GN4....you should send it off to the lab and see for yourself how it rates.
I've had very poor test results with it, or any other 10-40 dino oil. .02

Pilot Dave, Rotella is fine for the ST, but many have complained of notchy shifting after sometime both on this board, and others I frequent. I'd say give it a try, and see if you and your ST are happy. Being in VA, you should be able to find Brad-Penn V2, maybe at NAPA. It's a syn blend, by an American owned company, using American resources. I'm running the 10-40, and it's doing very well. Right in the same price range as Rotella, about 4 a quart. It's a sleeper, not too many folks even know it exists, but a very good choice.

You need to check the label for ( SJ or SG or SF ) API rating. Your really looking for a SJ rating.
A ( SM (old) and SN (new)) are rating for gasoline cars and light trucks.
If it doesn't say for motorcycle, or ATV it's most likely not what you want.
Your motorcycle oil is different then your car oil. It's also used for the motorcycle wet clutch too.

Back
Top Bottom