Seeking Recommendations for a Portable Air Compressor Filter

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Anybody have any recommendations for an in-line filter for a portable air compressor? I have a DeWalt D55146 compressor in the garage and it sucks a lot of moisture out of the air that passes through the air line. I tried using a Husky in line filter from Depot but moisture still got through the line and I havent been able to locate another filter that is suitable for use with my compressor. Does anybody know of a filter that will actually do what it is supposed to do for a portable compressor?

I've been writing about industrial air compressors and their applications for many years.

When air is compressed the moisture and impurities present in the intake air will appear in higher concentration in the compressed air output. Moisture can be removed from the compressed air using a variety of methods, including membrane filtration, desiccant, and refrigeration. Methods depend on the configuration of the compressor (reciprocating, rotary screw, scroll, centrifugal) and whether the compressor is oil injected or oil free. The application of the compressed element air is also a factor in the choice. Most inexpensive portable compressors aren't designed to have their output filtered. The resulting pressure drop ends up being unsatisfactory.

That said, you can get air filters and some probably work OK, just don't trust them for breathing air. DeWalt makes this: http://www.amazon.com/D55020-Heavy-Duty-Compressor-Filter-Small-Handcarry/dp/B0008GPLM8

Try googling "DeWalt Compressed Air Filters"...I got lots of returns.

Good luck.

What you need is not just a filter but a designated filter/ water trap. Some filters do not remove water. Usually a small clear bowl with a drain for the condensate on the bottom. Some have filters, some do not. A membrane or dessicant type is probably too expensive for the average garage/ home compressor. Make sure you regularly drain the compressor tank to keep condensate from collecting as well.

Dan

I've been writing about industrial air compressors and their applications for many years......

....Try googling "DeWalt Compressed Air Filters"...I got lots of returns.

Good luck.

Bones- thanks for the overview on compressors. I will follow your suggestion on doing the Google search and check out the results.

What you need is not just a filter but a designated filter/ water trap. Some filters do not remove water. Usually a small clear bowl with a drain for the condensate on the bottom.
Dan

Dan- The Husky in-line filter has a bowl and the product description lists that it is supposed to remove condensed water. When I tried the Husky filter on my compressor moisture did collect in the bowl but it also presented itself in the line. So much so that my hand got moist when I held it in front of the spray nozzle for several moments.

Make sure you regularly drain the compressor tank to keep condensate from collecting as well.
Dan

It amazes me how much moisture this compressor pulls in. All I did this morning was top off the tires on my wifes car and refill my portable air tank. My compressor didnt run but maybe 5 minutes tops. When I drained the tank afterwards more water came out of it than what I would have thought for no longer than it run. The water was a rusty looking color, which really bugs me. I drain the compressor every time I use it and it only gets occassional use so why does the water have such a rusty appearance?

Back
Top Bottom