Salvage and Used Motorcycle Parts

timmybob4

06 ST1300a
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
From time to time I have seen forum members inquire about getting salvage parts. In the March 2008 Rider magazine I found an ad for salvage and used parts.

Disclaimer: Never dealt with them, don't know anyone who has, yadda yadda yadda.

---------
Long Beach Cycle Parts / Safari Cycle
World's Largest Salvage Motorcycle and Used Parts Supplier
Yamaha Honda Kawasaki Suzuki BMW Ducati Triumph Aprilia Harley Davison and more
Request part orders by phone or web
www.longbeachcycleparts.com
www.safaricycle.com
562-435-0900

From time to time I have seen forum members inquire about getting salvage parts. In the March 2008 Rider magazine I found an ad for salvage and used parts.

Disclaimer: Never dealt with them, don't know anyone who has, yadda yadda yadda.

---------
Long Beach Cycle Parts / Safari Cycle
World's Largest Salvage Motorcycle and Used Parts Supplier
Yamaha Honda Kawasaki Suzuki BMW Ducati Triumph Aprilia Harley Davison and more
Request part orders by phone or web
www.longbeachcycleparts.com
www.safaricycle.com
562-435-0900

Saw three 91 1100's on the safari site and two of them had custom seats and a backrest.

I don't know those specific vendors, but I have bought salvage parts for two old bikes (one gone, one still in my garage). Salvage parts are going to be 1/3 of the price (or cheaper) of "new-old-stock," and for many old bikes, the only way to buy replacement parts. EBay is another good place to find salvage, and I've had good luck with dealing with teardowns from various salvage dealers that way, too.

Just make sure the vendor has a return policy in case the part is either mis-quoted (wrong parts happen) or is too damaged or rusted to be useful. Most do have some policy to allow for buyer rejection and rapid return.

Glad I found these links. I just happened to have an, er, incident, and needed a new saddlebag cover. I put in submissions to both. Ebay is outta 2003 body parts. :roll:

Last edited:
Don't know about LB Salvage, but I have dealt with Jim Bareup at L.A. Cycle Salvage lasalvage@hotmail.com (323) 283-8792 (as of 2007) over the years and I can vouch for them. Parts are 50% of list price for most everything, but their stock of ST's is usually pretty good. I needed a bucketful of fasteners and misc. stuff for a '95 restoration that I still ride and love. I found everything there and I got a deal on a volume purchase.
Tim Shevlin #1183

Don't know about LB Salvage, but I have dealt with Jim Bareup at L.A. Cycle Salvage lasalvage@hotmail.com (323) 283-8792 (as of 2007) over the years and I can vouch for them. Parts are 50% of list price for most everything, but their stock of ST's is usually pretty good. I needed a bucketful of fasteners and misc. stuff for a '95 restoration that I still ride and love. I found everything there and I got a deal on a volume purchase.
Tim Shevlin #1183

Thanks. I'll shoot 'em an email!

The important thing with dealing with many salvage yards is to make absolutely sure you are getting the correct part. My son bought an engine froma salvage yard for a Suzuki. He prepaid for it and decided to drive the 4 hours to pick it up. When he got there thae engine was not the model that he was told it was so he said he would not take it. They would not return his money but told him they would get him the correct engine. After about 5 weeks and no luck getting a motor, I found one for him. He finally began small claims court procedings and they sent him a check less 200.00 of the amount he paid. He took it and ran. All of this was their fault and they got 200.00 for doing nothing but causing us grief. Never pay for anything from a salvage yard that you do not have a very good understanding of the condition and correct fit for you model. Just my .02

Dan

As I'm finding out, Dan is right. Ron Ayers fiche lists three different part numbers for "Lid, Left" on a 2003 ST1300. :shrug2:

As I'm finding out, Dan is right. Ron Ayers fiche lists three different part numbers for "Lid, Left" on a 2003 ST1300. :shrug2:

I believe those are different color codes.

For what it's worth, I have purchased a complete set of "colored" ST1300 parts via eBay which are in the process of being painted white. What started me on this journey was acquiring a brand new '06 fuel tank ... one which had nothing more than a minor cosmetic scratch & had never had gas poured into it ... for $15. It cost more than that for shipping. I'm guessing this was a brand new bike which a dealer had scratched the tank somehow during assembly. Anyway, while I did have one instance where the delivered part exhibited more damage than advertised, I have had fairly decent luck buying used parts at eBay. And I've had very good experiences dealing with folks on this forum. <Ken>

Back
Top Bottom