Red calves

the last couple of times I have ridden the ST1300, I noticed the inside of my calves just above the top of my socks were red. Some 12 hours later they are still a little pink. My wife (a nurse) said it looked like bruising to her (I take a blood thinner). I am wondering if it is due to heat coming off the bike, although I have not noticed significant heat while riding. I am concerned that the blood thinner may be making me more susceptible to burning from the heat, even at temps that aren't painful.

Anybody else experience anything like this?:confused:

What are you wearing on your legs and feet?

--Mark

+1 - You might need some taller boots... however, checking with the doctor on the meds and their effects is a great idea.

How relaxed are you when you ride , are the bruising marks on your calves located in the same place you would be making contact with the side cowls ? .. Meds like Coumadin, Plavix have been known make folks bruise easier.. See the your Doc.. maybe better Meds for your condition to suit your riding needs..

I usually wear a pair of work boots, with hiking socks. The top of the socks is about 3" above the ankle. Good idea about calling the doc - I will do that.

I just made the trek to Birmingham for the AMA races, Had a blast the whole time. On the ride back, I rode the super slab...(not my preference, just quicker)..About 5 hours into the return trip, my left leg started burning from the heat. I had never had any real heat problems before so this got my attention. The ambient temp was 102 degrees. I have Alpinestars and Joe Rocket Phoenix pants. The burning area was in the boot area, and much worst on the left side. I had to ride with my legs out in the wind for a while to cool off my boots. Its odd because in Sat.s race Josh Herron had a problem with his feet burning and had to poor cold water on them after the race. Although this was on a Yamaha R1,and I am on my STeed, I'm thinking maybe I need to hit the track since we are having the same problems. OK I'm back...must have dozed off. Has anyone else had this happen with the heat. 2 days later and my legs are just returning to normal. Ted

I am one of those bad people that commutes to work wearing dress shoes. What I am learning from this is that on hot days there is a lot of heat coming off the road. I know it is from the road because the bike does not have enough time to get hot before I get on the slab and feel it. I am sure higher boots and socks would help insulate you from this heat but if you ride for a long enough period the temps will eventually get through and cook you. Mabe some velcro attached to the area where the heat is bothering you (boot/pant leg) and a piece of heat reflecting silver space blanket velcroed in place would help.

I am one of those bad people that commutes to work wearing dress shoes.

Leave the shoes at the office and commute in boots, then your not a 'bad' person.

I leave two pair of dress shoes at the office, one brown, one black, just in case it's after memorial day ya know...
Doing a low side in loafers would mean a lot of time spent with shoe polish and buffing while my feet heal. Something I'd rather not spend my time at..

I wept because I had no shoes....
Until I met a man who had no feet.

Taller Boots wil help, I learned this the hard way where heat is concerned..

When I used to commute, yeah I'd leave a pair of dress shoes at work.

If there is a slight crosswind, you'll sometimes get a bit more heat from the opposite side of the bike as the heat is just choosing the path of least resistance.

I usually ride w/Olympia mesh pants and even on the hottest days don't feel TOO much heat but it's there... I have some Olympia Ranger non-mesh pants I may try out on the next couple of rides to see if they work better. I feel heat from the Tenere as well so it's across the board for me, hot days are just hot days and sitting on a motor doesn't really make the day much cooler.. LOL.. even though it's so cool...

Back
Top Bottom