Question about Slime tire inflator

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
I just purchased a new Slime motorcycle tire inflator and the instructions state "do not use while engine is running"....so am I supposed to kill my battery while inflating my tire on the side of the road? [emoji15]

I run mine with the engine off unless I'm airing up tires from several motos such as when returning to pavement from offroad. In that case, I run the engine as one time I did manage to kill my battery. I guess the safetycrats have envisioned some kind of dire problem occurring with the engine on.

On an ST I wouldn't worry, on the vstrom 650... I'd worry a little more so I would have it running if the tire was down a lot or you were using after a flat repair.

Seems strange given most tyre inflators have a start up inrush current of around 15 amps... which will kill fuses of less than 15 amps in pretty short order....

I run my car engine when plugged into the car power outlet, I certainly wouldn't run an inflator on my bike without running the engine as it would kill the battery below starting level in a fairly short time.... especially for the FI engine!

I know the ST1300 can be battery critical and will fail to start if the battery is sagging at all.

The only thing I can think of is that the electric motor they're using isn't up to running on more than 12 volts for long periods.

Could always write them and ask, I suppose.

--Mark

I've never used my Slime inflator (for fear that it'll only work once, and not when I really need it!), but the only reasonable explanation for this weird instruction is that the motor/current is designed to run of 12v max, and not 14.X as would be the case with the engine running...

Conclusion....added 4psi to the front and 3psi to the rear with engine off. Started the bike just fine. I agree with leaving the motor off for little spurts of air and keep it running in case of total loss (or thereabouts) of air. I like to test things in the comfort of my garage. BTW... the battery tender has a 7.5 inline fuse. Figured that would blow first.

Seems strange given most tyre inflators have a start up inrush current of around 15 amps...
Yes, I still need to modify my Slime kit by installing a new/different/better constructed, state of the art motor with more torque and less RPM... will cut down start and running current significantly, the compressor case won't get so extremely hot anymore, noticeable reduced noise, due higher torque the motor will also have no issues to top up a rear tire...
The "tin can" in there is just the simplest, cheapest, Chinese made thing... will tune that thing by installing an LRP Truck-Puller-II 12V ;-)

T_C1785158 said:
Have used mine quite a few times with engine running. Still alive and kicking.
I've aired up flat rear tire alongside the road after plugging it and the Slime pump had to run for about 15 minutes straight with the bike running. Pump still works.

That would be my guess as they are worried if you knock it in gear or something.

There is a pretty long power cord on the pump, I bet you could easily get a couple hundred revolutions on the tire before it would break.

There is a pretty long power cord on the pump, I bet you could easily get a couple hundred revolutions on the tire before it would break.
Haha....that would be filling the tire with air as you move along the road....air-to-go?

Back
Top Bottom