Portable jump starter

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
So..now I am riding a Honda NC 750X DCT and my wife is riding a Yamaha X-MAX 300 scooter. Both are automatics (no clutch...one a DCT and one a CVT), which means in the event the battery is low, they won't electric start, and they won't bump start. So, I am in the market for one of those jump start gizmos for emergency use.

I'd like it to be small of course, kind of like a cell phone or slightly larger since it will be carried on my bike, and I'd like to use it as a back up power bank to recharge our I-phones if necessary. We both have battery tender jr. plugs on our bikes for charging at home, so it would be nice if ithe jump starter would plug into those to jump start the bikes, but my understanding is the amps or whatever might be too high for the wires on the battery tender plug? Not so sure, since I've seen people do it on youtube vids. (then again lots of people on youtube vids do stuff they shouldn't do lol)

Anyhow, who has some knowledge/experience/advice on these things? What do you recommend?

I have this one and used to carry it on the bike, switched to LI batteries with low voltage cutoff (if it drops below 11v it stops draining, you press a button(some have remotes) on the battery and start the bike, used it twice so far). The jumper starts the bike, car, truck, fine, the iPhone will drain it... I won't speak to using SAE as a jumper, but I wouldn't.

1728063316007.png

The Anti-Gravity ones are kind of the gold standard I think.
Their XP-1 is the smallest they have on their site but they had one called the "Sport" that was smaller. You might find one as old stock. They can be used for all the things you are looking for.

I had one of the older XP-1's and it successfully started my brother's Duramax diesel in subzero weather.
It finally died (well, I dropped it and it broke) so I have got one of their new XP-1's.

I would stay away from the generic ones. I have had them fail and it is not something you need to fail when you really need it.

The wiring for a tender is usually not heavy enough to carry the load needed to jump start. I have wired 10ga pigtails to my batteries and use them for the battery tender, tire inflator, jump starter, etc... You will have to modify the lead from the jump starter to hook it up though. I simply bought the SAE ones off of AMazon
1728063870347.png

and used one end on the bike and the other end on the jumper pack. I also made a set of jumper cable with clamps on one end and the SAE plug on another so I could jump start a bike that did not have a heavy enough pigtail.

10 AWG wire is rated for 30 amps, for a short pigtail, you can probably pull 40 or 50 amps for a very short time w/o it overheating too much. Starting a bike can easily pull more current for a few seconds than #10 wire can handle. Other weak links would be the SAE connector itself, and the crimped ring on the other ends of the wires. I'd suggest you use the clamps provided with the jump starter directly on the battery. Most of the jump starters I've seen require you to use their special plug in clamps, so using your battery tender connectors will not work.

Someone here posted in another thread that these jump starters usually last only two to three years because people tend not to charge them and lithium batteries do not like to be discharged to zero (which will happen with time). Best to keep it charged up.

I would buy a small booster pack for the phones. Using the jump starter to charge phones and computers might leave you without enough power to jump the bike/car when it is needed.

I have an xp1 and a pigtail made to match it. It doesn't take up much room without the cables. I also have a pump that will plug into it. The pigtail is placed so that I don't even have to remove the side cover to access it. All I have to do reach my finger in the opening and pull it out.

I have the xp-1 also, and the matching pigtail Used it once when the battery went south, but got a new battery and haven't used it to boost since, Did use it once on a long trip to recharge my Cardo PacTalk while I was eating lunch.

I have the XP-10 and just now used it to jump my Chevy Trailblazer. I’m pretty sure the XP-10 hasn’t been charged in 6-8 months, but it fired up the SUV that was showing 6.2 volts. Antigravity sell a pigtail that you leave on your battery and the other end plugs into the XP-10. I have the pigtails on both bikes.

I've got 3 older Gooloo jumpers from Amazon — 500/800/1500. I've used the 800 twice to start my car when it sat too long. It's battery has since been replaced so I haven't worried about getting stuck anywhere. I haven't seen one the size of a modern cellphone. Maybe the sized of a stack of two Samsung phablets.

I hadn't charge them in almost a year. 2 were 2 of 4 bars and the 1500 was 3 out of 4. Charged 'em up but set a reminder for a 6mo checkup.

Depending on how long battery has been dead it might be possible to connect the jumper via lightweight USB leads for minute or less then remove it and start the bike. But the fuse needs to be considered. Frin'stance my Tender Jrs have always been fused at 7.5A from the factory. The Gooloos' say connect for 30sec start then disconnect. If the bike's battery is otherwise good than maybe connect for 30sec disconnect start is all that's needed.

I have the NOCO GB40 with the NOCO jump starter adapter that runs off my battery. I can plug the charger into the adapter without removing any plastic from the bike.

For my GL 650, ST and now my Burgman 400, I made a pigtail with the correct connecter to fit my jumper. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the brand or model of the jumper I bought, but I did pick it up on Amazon. I think it was around $80CAD.

Interestingly, enough, I believe it is frightened all my batteries sufficiently that not one of them has required a boost. I have, however, boosted a number of vehicles along the road since buying it three or four years ago. So far it has boosted all of the vehicles.l without any issues.

I’m a big fan of Noco products, so when I replace the generic one, it will probably be with a Noco .

Further to that note above, I have quite a number of those connectors, so if anyone wants one, just send me a note.

Further to that note above, I have quite a number of those connectors, so if anyone wants one, just send me a note.
If these are the heavy duty leads that go from a jump starter to a battery tender jr, I would love to have 2 of them one for my bike and one for my wife's scooter. I'll pm you

So..now I am riding a Honda NC 750X DCT and my wife is riding a Yamaha X-MAX 300 scooter. Both are automatics (no clutch...one a DCT and one a CVT), which means in the event the battery is low, they won't electric start, and they won't bump start. So, I am in the market for one of those jump start gizmos for emergency use.

I'd like it to be small of course, kind of like a cell phone or slightly larger since it will be carried on my bike, and I'd like to use it as a back up power bank to recharge our I-phones if necessary. We both have battery tender jr. plugs on our bikes for charging at home, so it would be nice if ithe jump starter would plug into those to jump start the bikes, but my understanding is the amps or whatever might be too high for the wires on the battery tender plug? Not so sure, since I've seen people do it on youtube vids. (then again lots of people on youtube vids do stuff they shouldn't do lol)

Anyhow, who has some knowledge/experience/advice on these things? What do you recommend?
I bought this one not too long ago for my st1300 and used it twice before I replaced the battery and once on my car.
AUTOONE Car Jump Starter 2500A, Battery Jumper Starter Portable for Car Up to 8.0L Gas and 7.0L Diesel Engine Jump Box with Jumper Cables, USB Output and LED Light https://a.co/d/aRtaf0P

I have the NOCO GB40 with the NOCO jump starter adapter that runs off my battery. I can plug the charger into the adapter without removing any plastic from the bike.
I've done the same on my wife's bike. Haven't gotten around to doing it for mine yet but I should get on it as it's a pain to have to carry the Tupperware with you, after you jump start the bike, until you feel comfortable to stop the engine so you can use the key to reinstall it.

Originally, I though about making my own with something similar to this:

But this solution was easier and did what I needed.

Last edited:
For my GL 650, ST and now my Burgman 400, I made a pigtail with the correct connecter to fit my jumper. Unfortunately, I can’t remember the brand or model of the jumper I bought, but I did pick it up on Amazon. I think it was around $80CAD.
You can probably find the exact model number in your Amazon purchase history.

I’m a big fan of Noco products, so when I replace the generic one, it will probably be with a Noco .
I'm thinking of getting one because of the ready made Boost Cable adapter. I was going to make one for the Gooloos but their connectors appear unique and probably proprietary. They resemble standard connectors but are not the same.

Being able to plug in a "jumper" without pulling any plastic and fussing with big clamps on tiny terminals is a huge plus. That said my ST has not left its IGN since.

until you feel comfortable to stop the engine so you can use the key to reinstall it.
You don't carry more than one key?
Always a good idea to have a spare with you, and you wouldn't have to shut the bike off.

Always a good idea to have a spare with you, and you wouldn't have to shut the bike off.
I didn't as I too left mine with a friend for a "just in case" situation. As it worked out when I need it he was close by. Now I have a spare spare key that's always on my when I ride.

Actually, i usually do. But, if you remember, at Pete's Smoked Meat, I had left it with my luggage at my buddy's house for "safe" keeping.
Oh yeah, I do remember that. I don't know how long you were there before we arrived but when we got there the battery was already dead because there were no lights on to get my attention.

Something that I have learned from experience- I always keep my service key and my spare key on my person, and not in the same pocket. I figure that I can't get stranded due to a missing key that way as they will always be with me. I keep them in different jacket pockets, and I rarely leave my jacket alone. If for some reason I will be leaving my jacket behind I transfer the keys to my pants pocket so that they can not disappear. This assumes of course that I will be keeping my pants on at all times when in public.

Back
Top Bottom