Plugged tire?

ScottST

Site Supporter
Not on the bike, on my RV.
My wife and I are camping in a travel trailer and I woke up this morning to find a flat tire.

I removed it, installed the spare and took the damaged tire to a highly rated/reccomendd tire place to have it repaired.

I picked it up and noticed they PLUGGED it.
I’m no tire expert but shouldn’t they have removed the tire and patched it from the inside?

Is it safe to even run a plugged tire on an 8k travel trailer?

Responses are appreciated.

Some patches have a plug in the center that goes through the hole. Ask the shop what they used. Call them if your traveling.

If the hole was not near the sidewall and the tire is not overloaded I have run plenty of plugged with no patch tires.

How do you know that they did not patch from the inside? Admittedly it is many decades since I did tyre repairs, but usual practise was to mark the tyre/rim position, remove the tyre, sand around the puncture on the inside of the tyre to create a clean and flat surface, then bond a mushroom patch with the stem projecting through the tyre. You may only see the cut-off stem on the tread face. Then remount the tyre in the same position so the balance is unaffected. You may see the chalk/crayon marks on the tyre if it has been removed.

I’m no tire expert but shouldn’t they have removed the tire and patched it from the inside?
Absolutely when you've removed a tire/wheel and brought it in to them. I'm not familiar with that type of plug. The profile looks like it would be tough to push through a tire from the inside. Surely someone here has seen that particular plug and can advise if it's a plug or a patch-plug. But let's not call them "Shirley".

$38 is pricy for a plug when you've brought in the wheel. Was there a sign that said NO TIRE SERVICE FOR THE NEXT 500 MILES ?

Price is meaningless today. Ask them what they did. Patching on the inside is the gold standard, no question about that.

Back
Top Bottom