Armor Noraly's off road gear

Bike
2010 ST1300
Noraly has been wearing an off road helmet and Revit neck brace. I have a few questions about these two pieces of equipment.

Her helmet is characteristic of off road hats with a huge chin guard and wide eye port that accommodates goggles. The sun shade makes great sense to me and I wish my Neotec 2 had one. What is the purpose of that protruding chin guard? Increased ventilation perhaps, at the cost of allowing the stray hornet or baguette in? In an unplanned dismount, if one is unlucky enough to do a face plant, doesn't that chin guard tilt your head backwards violently? Since so many of these hats are styled the same there has to be a good reason for it - what is it?

The Revit neck guard sits low on her shoulders and I do not see how it provides support or limits head/neck movement in the event of a crash. It does offer an attachment for a spot or epirb but I suspect that is not the neck guard's primary purpose. How does it work?

Note: I did read what Revzilla's website says but I don't understand how it limits movement, helps prevent whiplash, etc. It is adjustable for thickness, but do you want your helmet to whack the neck brace in a collision? I hope she got a good one, quite a few of the review writers were unhappy about breakage with gentle and short time use.

I will add that I triggered my Turtle 2 airbag vest, and that puffs up around my neck immobilizing my head. This piece of gear works (!) and it is easy to understand.

*none of the prefix's made sense so i picked the first one.

Dirt bike helmets typically have a more exaggerated shape in the form of a "mushroom" style, as opposed to the more streamlined shape of street bike helmets. This is because dirt bike riding often involves more off-road terrain and falls, which require more protection for the rider's head and face. The increased coverage and protrusion of the helmet also helps to protect the rider's goggles from getting knocked off. Additionally, dirt bike helmets often have more ventilation to keep the rider cool during intense off-road riding. also see https://www.fundacionmapfre.org/en/...oups/motorcyclists/equipment/off-road-helmet/ From the web

@Al st1100, I read your link and it just said the usual - more protection, but if you face plant that extended jaw protection is going to push your head back, unless you pick a nice soft spot. In that case, it will dig in and plow up the ground for planting season while it forces your head down snapping your neck. Of course I am exaggerating, but the design seems counter intuitive at best. If the hat is made lighter and thinner offering less protection than a road model that makes sense if off road speeds are low by comparison. And ventilation for long term wearing is VERY desirable. As is being able to shove your spare baguette up under the helmet for a bite. if Noralty had a stash of slim jim's she would not have to stop for lunch.

@Al st1100, I read your link and it just said the usual - more protection, but if you face plant that extended jaw protection is going to push your head back, unless you pick a nice soft spot. In that case, it will dig in and plow up the ground for planting season while it forces your head down snapping your neck. Of course I am exaggerating, but the design seems counter intuitive at best. If the hat is made lighter and thinner offering less protection than a road model that makes sense if off road speeds are low by comparison. And ventilation for long term wearing is VERY desirable. As is being able to shove your spare baguette up under the helmet for a bite. if Noralty had a stash of slim jim's she would not have to stop for lunch.
I'm sure there is some method to their madness

Wondering about the GPS Norlay is using, is it a GPS or rugged phone?
Its a hardened computer. I think there is a link to it in the Itchy Boots thread. Go to the end of the thread and start reading toward the beginning, it is not more than a page or three back from the end.

I couldn't find the link to it in Season 7 equipment link above.
She makes no mention of what she's using for Nav in that link. There are a few commenters offering their opinion but none seem conclusive to me. One commenter even asks her what GPS she's using. As is typical on YouTube only the first few comments will get a response from the author. She doesn't reply and the brand/make/model remains a mystery or at best — a best guess.

I don't recall if she ever used a phone for navigation. That would be a poor choice considering how much time she probably spends outside of cell service. There are offline maps that can be used on phones but do they cover as much area as a dedicated GPS? I have no idea.

I seem to recall her mentioning getting or replacing a Garmin unit but nothing addressing her current kit. Maybe someone will nail it down. Me– I sort of like the Garmin XT but in truth my phone works well enough. This especially since unlike Noraly I'm not very far from the madding crowd. But I like a good farkle so maybe if I saw an XT up close and personal...

She makes no mention of what she's using for Nav in that link. There are a few commenters offering their opinion but none seem conclusive to me. One commenter even asks her what GPS she's using. As is typical on YouTube only the first few comments will get a response from the author. She doesn't reply and the brand/make/model remains a mystery or at best — a best guess.

I don't recall if she ever used a phone for navigation. That would be a poor choice considering how much time she probably spends outside of cell service. There are offline maps that can be used on phones but do they cover as much area as a dedicated GPS? I have no idea.

I seem to recall her mentioning getting or replacing a Garmin unit but nothing addressing her current kit. Maybe someone will nail it down. Me– I sort of like the Garmin XT but in truth my phone works well enough. This especially since unlike Noraly I'm not very far from the madding crowd. But I like a good farkle so maybe if I saw an XT up close and personal...
This is what I found on the main Itchy Boot thread.

The extended chin bar basically originated with motocross based helmets to decrease fogging of the visor at those lower speeds and is caused by the heavy breathing.
From my memory this is just for more breathing room... motocross is hard work!
In the early 80ies I was jumping around in old clay pits wearing this vintage item & googles:

NOLAN-N19-E-casco-vintage-helmet-NOS-no.jpg

The sun shade makes great sense to me and I wish my Neotec 2 had one.

This is the same thought I've had over and over. You come around a steep hill just before sunset to be slammed in the eyes by a low angle sun. I've put my left hand up over eyes temporarily but that's not the safest solution. IIRC, early road helmets had three snaps above the eye opening where a sun visor could be attached.

Is there any product out there that attaches to road helmets to act as a sun visor? Has anyone come up with a home brewed solution?

Back
Top Bottom