MRA Windshield which one

Dear all

So after much reading, i am edging slowly towards purchasing an MRA screen.

The folk at Bikehps have informed me there are two different types.

the 520 mm one - which is +60 mm over the standard screen

- and the larger 570 mm version - which is +110 mm over the standard screen

I am 5'11 in height so my question is which one do folk feel would best suit me best? I will be going for the clear screen i think.. Cant see any advantage in the dark screen..

Hi drawderm, I’m 5’ 11” as well, and as I’ve mentioned in other posts, I’ve always had some issues with the 1100 getting into clear air. I tend to sit mostly upright, so most screens for me are too low.

I bought the Vario Maxi for mine and I was really pleased with it compared to the rest of the windshield I had tried. I thought it was particularly good value.

Hello, I'm 6'3" and have the 570mm version . I'm Very happy with it . With top part removed ,the is air nice and smooth , I use it like this most of the summer. With top part on - it's the same -no buffeting . Ya hear all your engine noises /singing a lot better. I was surprised how good it worked in the rain . I sitt up high on a RDL seat. Mine is not really very " adjustable" , more a top - on /off (4 thumb screws)

Thanks and did you go with the 520 or the 570mm version?

Ignore me, i can see now you went for the maxi version which presume is the 570mm version

570mm , It came with the ST , and I'm glad it did. It's probably just the lengt of the top part that differs

Hello, I'm 6'3" and have the 570mm version . I'm Very happy with it . With top part removed ,the is air nice and smooth , I use it like this most of the summer. With top part on - it's the same -no buffeting . Ya hear all your engine noises /singing a lot better. I was surprised how good it worked in the rain . I sitt up high on a RDL seat. Mine is not really very " adjustable" , more a top - on /off (4 thumb screws)
Thanks.. its the buffeting which drives me cuckoo more than wind noises.

The cost is 140 in sterling in the UK at the above link.. Not sure how this compares to other countries?

I would like to throw a variable into the mix that has not been mentioned. What are your inseams? Two guys at 5' 11" might have torsos that are 2 to 3" different, depending on leg length. Isn't the distance from the seat to your top of your head the critical element, or maybe to be more exact so comparison is more consistent, from the top of the gas cap (same model bike) to the top of your head. Harder to measure but would give a better idea of how a particular screen might work for a different rider.

Food for thought.

Neal

Good point Neil lol.. ive only got short legs and inside leag measurement is 29. So someone with longer legs, ie 31 or so, with the same overall height would be two inches shorter than me when sitting on the same bike.

With that logic in mind then i reckon i would defo need the taller maxi screen as there may be an inch or two difference in my height from my pelvis to the top of my head

Well, I am an inch taller than you with a 34" inseam, so probably have a shorter torso.

The taller windshield could be shortened, but one that is too short would need one of those flip lip extenders. And several people have had good luck with a cheap version of the Laminar Lip that they purchased from eeee bay. Those allow some adjustability so you can find your sweet spot.

Neal

Well, I am an inch taller than you with a 34" inseam, so probably have a shorter torso.

The taller windshield could be shortened, but one that is too short would need one of those flip lip extenders. And several people have had good luck with a cheap version of the Laminar Lip that they purchased from eeee bay. Those allow some adjustability so you can find your sweet spot.

Neal
Not sure i want to start getting the jigsaw out, i would want to get the correct screen height for me first if possible.

May i ask what the distance from the top of the 'tank' to the top of the MRA maxi 570mm windscreen?

Screenshot_20240610_223210_eBay.jpg

drawderm,

I enjoy the forum, but I do not have an 1100 (an 82 VF750S is my cycle). I just tend to look at all the variables involved to see what is critical (my engineer training).

So, someone with the shield he is looking at, please measure as he has shown (and if possible, to the top of your head when in position) and let him know those measurements.

Neal

Back
Top Bottom