Laminar Lip -Lesson 1 and 2

So I am excited about having improved air flow. I buy the Lip, tape it in place - it still doesn't look right to me. But what the heck - what's to lose. So I clean where I am putting the little velcro spots with alcohol, then measure and press them on. Someone said - "I clamped mine" on one of the boards. So I clamped mine. Waited 24 hours, took the clamps off and found the little burrs on the velcro are crushed. Glad the good folks at Laminar sent extra dots. Lesson 1 - if you decide to clamp - don't get carried away. Lesson 2 - the dots aren't hard to take off - I don't know how much confidence I have in dots. I bet I end up putting the Radio Shack strips on instead.
I know this stuff has been covered and re-covered but this is my 2 cents.

I would suggest the strips over the dots. I got the lip and the wings for my previous bike. The lip had the strips and never budged. The wings had the dots. When the temps got real cold the dots lost their adhesion to the w/s and I lost a wing. The strips have more surface area to adhere to.

Bob -
Took a look at your bike. Great looking machine. I guess the two sections of the dots will pull apart before the dot will pull away from the screen. Few years ago I lost a headlight cover from a Concours that used the dots. Sort 'ev unrelated but related I lost a fender extender off a K1100 held on with the automotive foam tape. If the Lip even acts like it isn't going to hold - I will go to Radio Shack and get the super velcro strips they have.

Jon - Check Radio Shack - super hold.

Dots? Did someone say dots? Are they red dots? I see an old 7-up commercial happening !!! LOL!

Sorry about that. Back to the dots!!!

Back
Top Bottom