Key not turning

Bike
'07STA
My 07 has 151xxx km so far with a few hiccups along the way. My latest hiccup is my key in the ignition. Goes in and out with no problem but it will not turn on. I wiggled, tried my spare key but no way will it turn on but it will turn on if I turn the handle bars all the way left or right and lock the bars, then it will turn on and off with no problem.. When I remove my key I have to relock the bars to be able to turn it on to ride.

So one or more pins are sticking in the locking mechanism.. what lube I buy to free up the pin(s)

Can the switch be removed, disassemble and be relubed

Last edited:
3-in-1 dry lock lube, spray can with a thin hose, fixed my key turning problem a few years ago.

A locksmith once told me never to 'lubricate' a lock with oily fluids. The oil does not evaporate and will hold dust and dirt, jamming the pins. He advocated a light dusting with powdered graphite. On the other hand, my auto mechanic used to go around the car spraying one of those heavy duty lubricants - a light grease in an aerosol can - on every hinge, spring and...yes...inside every door lock. He said he never had one of the cars that regularly received his treatment come back with a seized lock cylinder.

I think the difference here is the locksmith was talking about pin tumbler locks found on residential doors, and the mechanic about auto locks which use wafers and have greater tolerances. My guess only. I've used graphite and/or something like 'lock ease' - graphite in a volatile carrier that evaporates fully.

Pl-100 is all that Locksmiths around here use and recommend now.
I have been using it for several years based on their recommendation. It is also a very good general lubricant- I use it for all kinds of things.
It is easily available everywhere around here- Any hardware store, auto parts store, Canadian Tire.
Buy it at one of the above- Locksmiths around here charge to much for it.

Back
Top Bottom