Helmets Is full helmet smart choice in case of an accident?

Afan

... and this is my real name.
Bike
1998 ST1100
Just bought Bell RS-1 Airtrix Meltdown for GREAT price (http://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/bell-rs-1-airtrix-meltdown-helmet/). Checked the reviews and looks very good helmet.
It's right now across the work desk, starring at me :D
Also, just saw an YouTube video of an idiot running through red on a intersection and hitting a biker. The biker is ok, only sustained a concussion (never watch deadly, graphic videos because it has more negative than positive impact on me, have enough blood in the in Bosnia). But, then, came to my mind: the biker had full face helmet - how the ambulance is going to take off his helmet? If it's modular of 3/4 face it would be much easier. With full face every time I take of the helmet I leave big ear marks... No, I don't have big ears at all!

Opinions?

Absolutely the best choice. The pic below shows where head impacts are by percentage. Do the math and make your own decision. Should be easy.

I have had an RS1 for a couple years and love it. Just told my wife the other day that I can't believe I paid $119 for a Transitions shield. Best money ever spent.

e663451774e72398e0600859bf335d22.jpg

Absolutely the best choice. The pic below shows where head impacts are by percentage. Do the math and make your own decision. Should be easy.

I have had an RS1 for a couple years and love it. Just told my wife the other day that I can't believe I paid $119 for a Transitions shield. Best money ever spent.

e663451774e72398e0600859bf335d22.jpg
I think you didn't get my question. In case of an accident, I'm laying down on the ground, unconscious... Ambulance is trying to take off my helmet. If I have 3/4 or modular helmet it shouldn't be a problem. If I have full face it could be tough to take it of. Specially if the neck is injured.

Opening a can of opinions, Afan?
A full face helmet is 'safer' than an open face or modular chin design. Open face offers NO lower facial protection at all. A modular chin design can come apart under the wrong circumstances during a crash and contribute to injury.
DOT rating is the minimum to consider. SNELL is better. Anything higher than SNELL ? would be even better. Basically the difference between DOT and SNELL certified helmets is 'one bump or two'. DOT rated hats come apart to dissipate energy during a really bad crash. SNELL rated helmets hold together better, providing protection after the primary impact. That being said about SNELL ratings...I have no idea how injection formed polycarbonate plastic makes the cut. The shell material should be reinforced.
Woven, composite shells are the best, they add the dimension of puncture resistance at embarrassing moments. Fiberglass, Kevlar,and carbon-epoxy are the three offerings here.
Buy a helmet by rating and design, then comfort. Price is not always an indicator of protection quality....any more than Gucci shoes being more durable or comfortable than Nikes.

Opening a can of opinions, Afan?...
I know advantage of full face helmet - that's why I already bought RS-1.

Bell RS-1 Oct 14th 2015 (2).jpg

My question how an ambulance handle full face (comparing to modular or 3/4) to take off of my head?

Last edited:
EMTs and first responders are trained in the specifics of removing helmets or other safety gear....it's the roadside buddy you got to worry about......2cents.....ff

EMTs and first responders are trained in the specifics of removing helmets or other safety gear....
I hope so :(

it's the roadside buddy you got to worry about......2cents.....ff
Totally true. Take a look at 0:17 - very dumb move!

[video=youtube;GpRTY43uqc0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpRTY43uqc0[/video]

I would never wear anything but a full face/modular helmet. Can you imagine the damage if this guy was wearing a 1/3-3/4 helmet?

helm-jordan.jpg

I know advantage of full face helmet - that's why I already bought RS-1.

Bell RS-1 Oct 14th 2015 (2).jpg

My question how an ambulance handle full face (comparing to modular or 3/4) to take off of my head?

Sorry, missed your point the first time. As others have stated, EMT's are excellent at removing helmets. I watched a demonstration back when my sons were in Scouts.

EMTs and first responders are trained in the specifics of removing helmets or other safety gear....it's the roadside buddy you got to worry about......2cents.....ff

Absolutely true. Years ago, I was riding my bicycle and I slid in some gravel on the edge of the road and flipped in a turn. My ribs impacted the end of the handlebar and I cracked three of them. I was on the ground with the wind knocked out of me and some idiot comes running over and grabs my right arm and starts attempting to jerk me up onto my feet. He was yanking my right arm of it's socket and I couldn't tell him to stop because I still hadn't caught my breath.

I can only image what would have happened if I had a spine injury.

Having an EMT remove my helmet is the least of my issues, they are trained on "How to Remove a helmet"! The things I would worry about if you didn't ride with a fullfaced/modular helmet, is do I have a face left? How much of my chin just got ground-down? :eek:4:

I've had two major accidents in my 44 years of riding. thank goodness I had a fullfaced helmet on for the first crash, it saved my head & hands. And a modular helmet the second crash, it saved my face!

To assist woith this.. donate your old helmet to the local firehouse so they can run scenarios. I just recently dropped two off.

Attachments

• Shock_Doctor_Eject_Helmet_Removal_System.pdf
    571.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
The Shoei quick release looks like it could be added to an RF1100 if you can attach the red pull straps. The cheek pads look very similar to those in the vid

What an awesome idea.... I will be contacting mine soon to do the same. Thanks for the hint!

I agree wholeheartedly. Makes me ashamed to admit that I cut up two helmets (more than 15 yrs old) rather than just toss them in the trash. I do the same with ladders that I will not use myself (cut them up).

A corollary question might be 'why wear full gear when it makes the EMT's job (or doctor's job) that much more difficult to get to me after an accident?'. These guys not only have training, but they have tools (sharp scissors, etc.) that will make short work of jammed zippers, armor, etc.

I asked a local EMT/paramedic your (and my) question, and he said that they don't remove the helmet. The ER is better equipped to do it. They just duct tape or strap it down (my memory is foggy here) to the body board, or whatever it's called, to immobilize, and roll on to the ER. That's assuming you are unconcious or uncommunicative.

I imagine you won't get your helmet back in one piece after an unconcious visit to the ER.

P.S. YMMV.

Last edited:
My wife is an RN and teaches an Accident Scene Management course. The course teaches EMT's and riders how to handle accidents and when to not remove or remove a helmet. We recommend everyone take the course! You can visit there web site to find someone near you to take to course. You won't regret it! Their web site is http://roadguardians.org well worth a look!

My first and only serious motorcycle accident, back in the late 1970's left me on crutches for +/-10 weeks with a couple of sst screws in my crushed right ankle that were removed about a year later. I also had two broken teeth implanted in my upper lip as a result of my crash. I was wearing an open face helmet at the time, never had one since. I had a 3/4 helmet recently that I used around the neighborhood until a few days ago when it started to come apart (I had it long enough to get my money's worth). That went into the trash last week. I now have a modular helmet to wear when riding around the neighborhood and a full face helmet for the road. Have to admit that I often wear the modular helmet on the road, but I really think a full face helmet is the only way to go for maximum protection. As already posted here, I think the removal of the helmet in case of a crash is basically a non issue. I would be most concerned about the injuries to my face/head/teeth in regards to helmet choice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom