How do you remove the handlebar end cap guts to replace with new on a 2007 ST1300?

Bike
2007 ST1300
The treaded ends were broken off of the metal rods that the bar end caps screw into. On the throttle side I took off the end cap and there was enough threads left in the rod to screw it in and pull those guts out. Tried doing the same on the hand brake side but it isn't budging. I'd imagine it's glued? Any suggestions? Thought of finding a thin blade to get in there and cut to rubber spacers? Thanks!

The treaded ends were broken off of the metal rods that the bar end caps screw into. On the throttle side I took off the end cap and there was enough threads left in the rod to screw it in and pull those guts out. Tried doing the same on the hand brake side but it isn't budging. I'd imagine it's glued? Any suggestions? Thought of finding a thin blade to get in there and cut to rubber spacers? Thanks!

There are clips holding them in, did you press those out of the holes in the bars ends?

See 11 Ring, is a clip. Not the same bike but the same design.

Two small holes in end of each handlebar.

If you did that try WD40, it evaporates which is good in this case.

You have to take the grips off.
FAF0E486-73EE-452D-BDEA-FC2EA5A9D61D.jpeg

Last edited:
Have new grips coming as well. Should I just cut the grips off with a utility knife? Got the clip out and the guts slid right out. When I put it back together the clip is all needed to hold them in place? No glue?

Last edited:
Have new grips coming as well. Should I just cut the grips off with a utility knife?

You can, but be careful not to damage the throttle tube, its nylon or something like that. What I do is lift up the ends of the grips and spray WD40 under them and they slide off. You may have to work them a bit.

Just slip an air gun tip between the grip and the tube, grab the end of the grip to seal it, and give it a blast of air.
The grip will expand and slide right off/on.
No need to damage stuff.
No harm to grips when done properly.
The weight assembly has a small bent tooth that clicks into place in the hole in the bars.
Folks try to tighten and twist the bend weight and damage this.
The bolt uses loctite and does to need to be tightened down.

Have new grips coming as well. Should I just cut the grips off with a utility knife? Got the clip out and the guts slid right out. When I put it back together the clip is all needed to hold them in place? No glue?

No glue for the bar end weights or bar ends, they are held in by the clips which must latch into the holes in the bars. Glue for grips.

Back
Top Bottom