HF's New Motorcycle Wheel Balancer

Harbor Freight appears to have come out with some new motorcycle tools and accessories. I just bought the Harbor Freight Motorcycle Wheel Balancer ($40, PN 98488). They also have a Honda Wheel adapter ($13, PN 65079) which I purchased as well (it is the aluminum piece you see in the picture). I have not had a chance to use it yet (thank God...tires aren't cheap), but for the money, it appears to be pretty well made. Since these are new, you may want to call first to make sure they have it in stock before you run down to pick one up.

Texas

Attachments

• IMG_5191.JPG
    IMG_5191.JPG
    160.5 KB · Views: 202
  • IMG_5192.JPG
    IMG_5192.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_5193.JPG
    IMG_5193.JPG
    138 KB · Views: 118
Let us know how it works - looks like a good value

I am in the process of making my own (with help from a friend who owns a metal lathe)

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and have balanced both a front and rear wheel from an ST13. What is the adapter needed for? I just used the black cones and it seemed to work out just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

I bought one of these a couple of weeks ago and have balanced both a front and rear wheel from an ST13. What is the adapter needed for? I just used the black cones and it seemed to work out just fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

It keeps the distance collar on the rear wheel centered, otherwise balancing can be a problem. (as I found out). I will definately get the adapter.

I should also mention that the prices I gave were sale prices. The retail prices on these are $59 and $20. Still, even at that prices, I feel it is worth getting. Now I've got to get my wife to make a dust cover this thing :)

Texas

Do those rubber wheels float on good bearings? In other words, is this thing sensitive enough?

I am not sure is you are referring to the tire when you say rubber. The black wheels that you see in the picture are steel. There are bearings inside of them (which are also replaceable). I have not put a wheel on it yet, but I can see that it is going to be very sensitive. Maybe one of the other guys who have actually used it can better answer this question.

Texas

Do those rubber wheels float on good bearings? In other words, is this thing sensitive enough?

Seems very sensitive to me. You can spin the empty shaft with just the cones on it for a long time. Is the Honda adapter available in their stores or on-line only?

With respect to the adapter, I'm skeptical that it's purpose is to center the distance collar. For one thing, the ST1300 has two different diameter axles so that adapter would only work on either the front or the rear wheel, but not both. Seems like a selection of sizes would be available if that were the intent.

Secondly, Harbor Freight's site refers to it as a "VFR" adapter. I am aware that the rear wheel of some VFRs is unique due to the way it mounts to the single sided swing arm.

I don't think this adapter is intended for or needed to balance the ST1300's wheels.

Last edited:
Seems very sensitive to me. You can spin the empty shaft with just the cones on it for a long time. Is the Honda adapter available in their stores or on-line only?

With respect to the adapter, I'm skeptical that it's purpose is to center the distance collar. For one thing, the ST1300 has two different diameter axles so that adapter would only work on either the front or the rear wheel, but not both. Seems like a selection of sizes would be available if that were the intent.

Secondly, Harbor Freight's site refers to it as a "VFR" adapter. I am aware that the rear wheel of some VFRs is unique due to the way it mounts to the single sided swing arm.

I don't think this adapter is intended for or needed to balance the ST1300's wheels.

I may be wrong on the distance collar adapter. It's the logical answer the way it's made but if it says VFR, it may not work. I wish I could get one to center the distances collar. When you are trying to balance a wheel and the distance collar keeps dropping to the low side, you won't get an accurate balance. I found this out the hard way. It was only a problem on the rear tire as the collar on the front never gets off center. Yet.

I am not sure is you are referring to the tire when you say rubber. The black wheels that you see in the picture are steel. There are bearings inside of them (which are also replaceable). I have not put a wheel on it yet, but I can see that it is going to be very sensitive. Maybe one of the other guys who have actually used it can better answer this question.

Texas

Ah, OK, I thought the black wheels were rubber. Sounds like this thing will work just fine. I wish it had been around when I paid $90-something for that Marc Parnes balancer but what's done is done.

I may be wrong on the distance collar adapter. It's the logical answer the way it's made but if it says VFR, it may not work. I wish I could get one to center the distances collar. When you are trying to balance a wheel and the distance collar keeps dropping to the low side, you won't get an accurate balance. I found this out the hard way. It was only a problem on the rear tire as the collar on the front never gets off center. Yet.

I've found that if you push the centering cones inward with enough tension, the distance collar can be immobilized the same way it is when the axle nut is torqued down.
Posted via Mobile Device

I know the adapter is for a VFR, but I figured for $13, and since they had one in stock, I might as well get it. Since I have not used it yet, I don't know if the adapter is useful or not. Hey, maybe I can justify adding a VFR to the stable now?

Texas

I know the adapter is for a VFR, but I figured for $13, and since they had one in stock, I might as well get it. Since I have not used it yet, I don't know if the adapter is useful or not. Hey, maybe I can justify adding a VFR to the stable now?

Texas

OK, I can see where you're going with this. genius, sheer genius! I wonder if it would work for my wife? :D

I've found that if you push the centering cones inward with enough tension, the distance collar can be immobilized the same way it is when the axle nut is torqued down.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, I didn't have much luck last go around. I read were someone made a nylon sleeve to act as a centralizer, I may try that next. Not a big deal now that I know.

I went by my local Harbor Freight this afternoon and they had one wheel balancer on the shelf, priced at $39.95, so the sale prices are still in effect. I bought it. Now waiting for the tire change and motorcycle adapter to go on sale. Also will pick up a set of Motion Pro tire spoons to complete the ensemble.

Where is a good (discount) outlet to purchase weights and valve stems, or do most people just pick up what they need whenever they do tires?

Texas -

What was the delivery time from your order from Kurveygirl? I just received my new tires ordered from Southwest Moto Tires this afternoon, after placing the order yesterday morning, with no shipping cost for 2 tires!! DAZED and AMAZED in Arlington.

dave

Back
Top Bottom