Greasing Front Brake Sliding Pins

Hi Gents,
Please advice me how to work on this kind of project, Greasing the Front Brakes Sliding Pins. I know how to remove the calipers, it is a straight job, but working with fragile rubber boots makes me unconfortable when taking on for the first time.
Thanks,
Julian
ST1300/2010

Hi Julian.

Slider pins. Do not remove them unless you need to replace them.

Check the fit of the chrome retainer clip in the recess. It should be a snug fit. Look for wear tib and bottom. If there is excess wear then you may need to replace the caliper bracket.

The slider pins should be clean and smooth. They should also be shiny. You grease them by applying a smear of rubber grease or silicone grease to the pin. Just a thin smear.

Clean out the holes into which the boot slides. The hole in the caliper body has a long rubber boot. Be careful not to damage that when cleaning. Cotton buds or paper towel on a dowel with a rounded end. The aim is to get rid if any build up of grease in there.

The boot on the bracket is much smaller and fits inside a groove. The hole for the slider is bare metal.

The rubber boot will swell if petroleum based grease is used. Inspect the rubber boot for tears. Replace if you find any. It should be easy to refit them. If the small boot seems too big to fit the rim into the locating groove, that will be because the correct grease has not been used in the past.

If you have the caliper off the bike and detached from the hoses then practice fitting the caliper and the bracket together, once you have the boots checked and fitted. The caliper should slide in and out smoothly with no sense of anything catching or sticking. It should not get harder as the two parts separate. If it does, that would suggest that the pins are not parallel. Make some allowance for air suction. Maybe check before fitting the boots.

The issue with the grease is that if you apply too much, that slider pin has nowhere to go because the hole is full of grease. Thats an extreme situation. In practice, much more than a smear creates an air lock which tends to blow the caliper away from the bracket, or suck it back. Any excess air needs to be able to fart its way out. Otherwise it can cause the brake pads to be pushed onto the disk.

There is never any need to remove those slider pins from the caliper or from the bracket unless they have to be replaced. But an important warning.....

The early Honda workshop manual (and the one that is commonly available for download), has a serious error in one of the diagrams. The drawing has mistaken that slider pin for the caliper bracket stopper bolt and labelled it as requiring a torque of 69Nm. That is way too much for the slider pin. The actual value is correctly recorded in the tables - 28ish springs to mind - but check for yourself. The figure is different for the two pins, and the 28 is dragged up from memory, something I have learned not to rely on these days. But really, you should never need to undo the slider pins.

Last edited:
Hi Gents,
Please advice me how to work on this kind of project, Greasing the Front Brakes Sliding Pins. I know how to remove the calipers, it is a straight job, but working with fragile rubber boots makes me unconfortable when taking on for the first time.
Thanks,
Julian
ST1300/2010
The rubber boots aren’t that fragile. Clean the pins well and lubricate lightly with silicone grease and put everything back together. It’s not a difficult job and if you’re familiar with removing the calipers this is easy job for you.

You don't mention other cleanup work you're doing on the brakes. I'd be cleaning and lubing the pins as above, cleaning the pads and also pumping out the pistons to clean them as well + to check them for pitting. Also give the rotors a good clean as well. All easy to do when everything is open, in particular if the wheel is off, which I assume it is.

And it kinda cascades from here... check wheel splines and regrease, spline o-ring, inspect wheel bearings, etc....

Last edited:
Thanks for all good indications/advices, seems like a tedious job, kind of expected, it will take some time. May I have some photos/videos on the front wheel brake calipers job? I have a very good doc for the SMC, it might be not needed after all, it would appreciate any extra info!

Most of what is in the avoiding the pitfalls doc applies to the front calipers as well. Things are in slightly different locations, but you can work that out. It has a section specifically about the pad spring on the later ST1300s - from 2008.

The diagrams in the SMC pdf that I sent will give more detailed info about the SMC bracket - left side. The right side is similar without the complexities of the smc

You need the official Honda Workshop manual. Google may help. But don't ask for links - we wont publish such thing on here.

Back
Top Bottom