give me your thoughts on purchasing a used Corbin seat

perk263

perkSTer
Bike
2004 ST 1300
I found a used Corbin seat in the classifieds of the forum and am about to make the purchase, can anyone offer any suggestions or opinions. This seems to be a good deal about half the price of a new one so give me your thoughts. I'm a little reluctant to buy a used seat I've only seen pictures of and have never sat on anything other than the stock seat. My longest rides in a day have been about 600 miles and my butt is ready for a break every 100 miles or so with the stock seat. I do have a Bead Ryderz for summer riding. I'm hoping to do an Iron Butt ride this year but not willing to attempt it with the stock seat. Thanks in advance.

My 1999 ST1100 came with a Corbin seat when I bought it in 2012. The seat was too hard and I have heard similar complaints about Corbin. YMMV

They are not a bad seat, but everyone has a different :butt1: and just like an oil thread have a different opinion on them. You are the only one that can say if it works for you or not.

I traded my stocker for a Corbin with a friend for half a day. It's pretty old, and I have no idea if it was the standard Corbin build. It was taller than my stock with the fitting in the lowest position, and one piece. It had some give in it, but firm. Sort of springy feeling, but certainly not bouncy. Just that on the stock you settle in and that's about it. This felt like it still had some suspension in it to take the sharp bumps. I might have liked it a lot more if it hadn't been so tall. That said, I did get used to it. But first getting underway, I felt like I needed Heli's or other brand raised bars.
I also had near new Sargent for a little while last year. It was harder than my VFR Sargent (which I really like) and I never rode it more than in town commuting. I ended up selling it since it was still worth a couple bucks and I needed the cash more than the seat at the time. Not really interested in getting another.
Best advice is to try before you buy, IMO...

Like you...I could not tolerate the stock st13 seat for much more than 100 miles+/-...before much discomfort set in...I have ridden a VFR for which I took the "unseen risk" (like you are considering) of buying a guy's Corbin seat... that sucker is the hardest closed-foam I have ever sat upon...I have had the VFR Corbin seat for about 10 years on the VFR & it never really has "softened" any... however... the Corbin is more "dished" shape than stock & more able to shift about on it some... though is still very stiff/hard foam... it IS better than stock, no question about that... however, when I decided soon after the st13 purchase to, of immediate necessity, get different seat...I DID NOT go with the Corbin due to the very stiff foam... rather, I went with the Sargent seat instead... that was also about 10 years ago... and I have NEVER regretted the going Sargent instead of Corbin... the Sargent has (to me, anyway) the similar "dished" shape of Corbin... but more "compliant" foam that is supportive... but(t) comfy...(pun intended)... for day(multiple days) ride... hope this helps you some...:):03biker:

Always wished I'd opted for the Russell instead of the Corbin for the couple hundred difference:rolleyes:. Memory foam is a bit firm for my liking, but way better fit than the stock soft 'showrooom' seat. A few yrs. into the Corbin and I ended up adding one of ATV pads from wally-world. Made all the difference in the world. Least now I'm able to ride a tank of fuel out if necessary on a LD ride.

They are not a bad seat, but everyone has a different

+1 And usually the seats are built to the first owner's specification so not only is your bucket different than most others a custom made bucket seat eliminates a universal fit. Kind of like buying used shoes without knowing what size you're going to get.

As someone already mentioned, it depends on how well the person "fits" the seat.

It's like the old cast tractor seats. Very hard, but shaped nicely and ventilation holes for all day comfort.

Aaron, I didn't think about it as we talked about seats, but we could get together and trade seats for a few days.

My bike came with a used Corbin and I liked it very much. Only now the piping is coming undone and needs rebuilt. But I can still put in a 5 hour ride with one stop.

Sent with Tapatalk Pro.

I didn't like the Corbin on my 1100 at all! It was in rough shape though so after calling Corbin and pricing a recover, I gave it away! Have you considered having your stock seat "Spencerized"? Very good for the money...

Thanks guys for all of the input and advise. From reading all of the posts I have come to the conclusion that not everybody likes the same seat and different seats work well for different people. It seems everyone agrees the Corbin is better than a stock and the Corbin is harder than the stock seat. I spend more time riding my horse lately than the ST. So I decided to take a chance on the Corbin. My saddle for my horse is hard and has almost no padding. I can sit in the saddle on the horse for three or four hours at a time and an all day ride on the horse is no big deal. So I am hoping the Corbin will end up like my saddle. Lastly I would rather throw away a few hundred bucks than four hundred. I'll post a review once I have it and put some miles on it.

I like Corbin seats because I like firm, leather seats. Sargent seats are firmer than OEM ST seats but still too soft for me. My used KLR came with a Sargent seat and I am not crazy about it.

My opinion, one thing is for sure. OEM motorcycle seats universally suck.

Thanks guys for all of the input and advise. From reading all of the posts I have come to the conclusion that not everybody likes the same seat and different seats work well for different people. It seems everyone agrees the Corbin is better than a stock and the Corbin is harder than the stock seat. I spend more time riding my horse lately than the ST. So I decided to take a chance on the Corbin. My saddle for my horse is hard and has almost no padding. I can sit in the saddle on the horse for three or four hours at a time and an all day ride on the horse is no big deal. So I am hoping the Corbin will end up like my saddle. Lastly I would rather throw away a few hundred bucks than four hundred. I'll post a review once I have it and put some miles on it.

I have a horse background as well. I used to guide and work feed lots all day every day on slick seat saddles. The difference is that you are supporting a good deal of your weight on your feet and thighs if you ride a western saddle correctly. In a motorcycle, you are pretty well on your butt all the time, more like a bicycle seat. Having said that, I do still like a hard seat rather than one that the foam flattens and you wind up with sitting on the seat pan.

I've had two used Corbin seats on my 1991 ST1100. Both I could ride all day on even though they felt hard they were comfortable. My only complaint is that one the stitching wore out and the other the leather tore. It was cheaper to buy another used seat then to have them fixed. Now I'm using a police solo saddle and am having to issues with it even though it is softer than the Corbinseats. Just my .02

Dual seat? My corbin is way worse than stock be interesting to see how it works for you.

Thanks for the additional comments, got my tracking info today. The seat should be delivered Thursday, the drawback is that I'm stuck in Canada until Friday. I'm hoping to put some miles on the bike Saturday or Sunday. I'll post once I get some miles on it.

I'm going to post a review on the seat, I'll do it in a new thread.

Think you will like it. Corbin came on mine and love the way it feels. It is very firm but have been able to ride with it being very comfortable.

I purchased a 2006 St 6 weeks ago. It came with a Corbin and Stock w/Spencer gel insert. I found the Corbin somewhat firm but not objectionable. My issue was the contour of the seat pushed me forward. I'm 5'-9", 185 lbs. I tried all of the seat height adjustments. The highest adjustment worked best. I changed to the stock seat and this avoided the forward pushing. The Corbin is made very well and the 2-tone silver & black looked great. In the end, I sold the Corbin on EBay and also listed it on this this site. I have the Bead Rider in my 2003 Silverwing and this made a nice improvement for comfort and airflow. I'll probably try one on the ST. Hope this helps.

Dale

Back
Top Bottom