Firestik Antenna - Which One and What Else?

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I have used the Cobra HH 38 WX ST CB radio in conjunction with a Starcom1 Advance system for a few years now on my ST1100. When I have used the CB I would throw it in the tank bag and only used it with the rubber antenna that it came with. Due to underwhelming performance problems when using the Cobra in conjunction with the Starcom I have decided to to install a Firestik CB antenna since that seems to be the best choice based on what I have read. I have the following questions regarding what I want to do.

On the Firestik site they offer up the Firestik and Firestik II. Which is the best antenna to use and in what length?
I know it will need to be tuned. Joe is not too far from me so I will probably be hitting him up to borrow the equipment he has offered up for tuning.

I also see that Firestik as well as other posters recommend to use the Firestik 18' cable in its entirety. Does this cable come with the appropriate connector for the Cobra on one end and the antenna on the other? If I need to purchase connector(s) separately can I use anything off the shelf at Radio Shack or should look for something more specific? Are there any considerations for how to manage all the additional cable? i.e.- just stuff it anywhere it will go or bundle it up in a particular manner, etc.

Are there any considerations regarding mounting the antenna? I was thinking about using a flat piece of aluminum barstock across the small luggage rack on my bike to mount the antenna to. Is this idea suitable or should I do something else?

I am leaning towards one of the adapters that will allow the antenna to be folded down when the bike is covered. Is there a particular adapter to use for that application or will anything off the shelf work OK?

If there is anyone out there already using a Starcom1 Advance with the Cobra 38 and a Firestik is there anything in particular that I should know about using these components with each other?

Any tips, pointers, advice or other information on what to do or not do for this installation would be greatly appreciated.

And lastly, does anyone know if there is any place locally in the DFW area to procure everything I need? If not, what is a good online source?

I have the 2 foot firestik II w/tunable tip.

I think I have a 90 degree adapter to allow you to hook the coax cable to the cobra handheld.

The no ground plane antenna and cable comes with everything except the adapter to attach to the handheld and like I said I think I have that so don't go buying one.

I prefer the quick disconnect option vs the fold over option because you can accidentally bend it but many have that and don't have issues. I think I have one of those too but it may be a little bent.

I prefer the quick disconnect option vs the fold over option because you can accidentally bend it but many have that and don't have issues. I think I have one of those too but it may be a little bent.

Joe-
Is there something about the Firestick antenna's that makes them prone to the possibility of getting bent? My friend Steve (who consulted with you recently about the No Mar) has a Wing with the typical GW whip antenna that folds over. I dont recall him having any issues with antenna on his bike. Granted, my impression is that these are two different types of antennas and the Firestick appears to be more rigid. Do you think that the quick disconnect with the Firestick lends itself to less exposure of the antenna getting damaged? OTOH, I might be better off with the quick disconnect for the simple reason that I wont have the antenna on the bike except when I will be using the CB, which is not just a whole lot.

I have the 2 foot firestik II w/tunable tip.

The no ground plane antenna and cable comes with everything except the adapter to attach to the handheld.

So the 2' antenna is plenty adequate? Would there be an significant benefit to having a 3' or longer antenna?

Did you get your antenna and cable locally? If so, where?

Thanks,

Ken

I just finished installing a Firestik II 2' on my ST1100 today. I have a JCW topcase and fabbed some 1/4" x 2" aluminum bar stock into an antenna mount under the topcase mounting plate with some spacers to raise it off the tail section. I found the 9' Firestik cable (it's the perfect length) and purchased from Radio Shack the adapter for the standard CB connector (PL259) to the BNC connector that's on my Cobra 38WXST. The antenna needed no SWR adjustment. I have a PTT button velcroed on my left control pod, but I'm looking for a better mount arrangement. The audio is fed into my helmet and my Edset speakers.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them. I ordered the fold over but it wasn't shipped and I can't get the vendor (CBradioStore.com) to answer my request for an update.

Here's the list of parts that I ordered which was based on a thread on this site:

1 FireStik K4R Fire-Ring Antenna Stud Mount K-4R @ $3.39 = $3.39
1 FireStik II FS2 CB Antenna 2 foot 5/8 wave - Black, Red, White or Blue (Black) @ $20.49 = $20.49
1 FireStik K8R9 - 9' Fire-Flex Coax w/ Fire-Ring to PL259 Connector @ $12.49 = $12.49
1 Astatic EZ Fold Over Antenna Mount 203EZ @ $13.49 = $13.49

Tim

Joe-
Is there something about the Firestick antenna's that makes them prone to the possibility of getting bent? My friend Steve (who consulted with you recently about the No Mar) has a Wing with the typical GW whip antenna that folds over. I dont recall him having any issues with antenna on his bike. Granted, my impression is that these are two different types of antennas and the Firestick appears to be more rigid. Do you think that the quick disconnect with the Firestick lends itself to less exposure of the antenna getting damaged? OTOH, I might be better off with the quick disconnect for the simple reason that I wont have the antenna on the bike except when I will be using the CB, which is not just a whole lot.

So the 2' antenna is plenty adequate? Would there be an significant benefit to having a 3' or longer antenna?

Did you get your antenna and cable locally? If so, where?

Thanks,

Ken

It's not the antenna that get's bent but, in my case, the adapter you put between the antenna and mount that adds the folding function... there is a pivot point and if you aren't careful the long leverage of the antenna makes it possible to bend it at that pivot point.

A longer antenna is always going to be better... I don't have any performance numbers or anything to compare against.. I just went with the 2 ft as that's what I think the wings have.

A longer antenna is always going to be better... I don't have any performance numbers or anything to compare against.. I just went with the 2 ft as that's what I think the wings have.

Joe- Sounds like the 2 footer seems to work just fine based on your experience the experiences of others so I think that's what I will purchase. Im not trying to achieve the maximum range possible, I just want to be able to communicate a reasonable distance and for sure more than 50' away, which is about all the range I get with the rubber antenna and the CB tied into the Starcom.

I just finished installing a Firestik II 2' on my ST1100 today. I have a JCW topcase and fabbed some 1/4" x 2" aluminum bar stock into an antenna mount under the topcase mounting plate with some spacers to raise it off the tail section. I found the 9' Firestik cable (it's the perfect length) and purchased from Radio Shack the adapter for the standard CB connector (PL259) to the BNC connector that's on my Cobra 38WXST. The antenna needed no SWR adjustment. I have a PTT button velcroed on my left control pod, but I'm looking for a better mount arrangement. The audio is fed into my helmet and my Edset speakers.

I'll try to take some pictures and post them. I ordered the fold over but it wasn't shipped and I can't get the vendor (CBradioStore.com) to answer my request for an update.

Here's the list of parts that I ordered which was based on a thread on this site:

1 FireStik K4R Fire-Ring Antenna Stud Mount K-4R @ $3.39 = $3.39
1 FireStik II FS2 CB Antenna 2 foot 5/8 wave - Black, Red, White or Blue (Black) @ $20.49 = $20.49
1 FireStik K8R9 - 9' Fire-Flex Coax w/ Fire-Ring to PL259 Connector @ $12.49 = $12.49
1 Astatic EZ Fold Over Antenna Mount 203EZ @ $13.49 = $13.49

Tim

Tim-
Thanks for all the info. That parts list will help a bunch. That would be great if you could put some pictures up of your installation.
Thanks again!

BTW, anyone looking for a 38WXST CB radio, there's a complete unit for sale over on the LDRider list. PM me if you want the detailed info.

Re: the rubber ducky antennna, I could reach out maybe 1/4 mile when riding with my Gold Wing group.

Here are a few pictures of my Firestik installation on my '01 ST1100 as well as my JC Whitney $49 top box.

Rear View
783229270_AoDZe-L.jpg

Plate View
783229797_PYA9E-L.jpg

CB View
783229360_mNieZ-L.jpg

PTT Button
783229505_YFZr8-L.jpg

For more pictures, please go to my album at:
http://timmer.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/ST1100/ST1100/11173234_qitq3#783229360_mNieZ

With the help of this message board, I was able to easily do this task. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

KEN - I've got the foldovers on my ST1100s and so far no trouble - but there is a bit of care you do have to take as Joe said about the leverage. I've got the FireFlys at 3 ft (4 ft was way too long) which I think are supposed to work better with the NGP cable! You will definitely want the NGP cables since there ain't no ground plane to speak of on the ST1100. I just routed mine around the top of the fram until I ran out of wire. So folks loop it together and put it on the right side underneath the body panel. At least we'll be able to communicate on the hill country ride! ;-)

Tim-
Thanks for the pictures and the link to your website. I have checked it out. Being able to see pictures of an installation really helps.

.....At least we'll be able to communicate on the hill country ride! ;-)

Uncle Phil-
Lets hope so. Seems like if there is a problem to be had with a handheld CB and an Autocom or a Starcom I sure seem to have it. If this antenna installation doesnt resolve my issue with the Starcom I am just going to have to revert back to pointing at the gas tank when I need gas, point at my stomach when Im hungry and when I need to pee point at......, uh, never mind on that one.

I prefer Firestik II 2' but the 3' will work .. Best is the 3' Firestik "FireFly" ...
Mount from MCL works great, Antenna Mount from Firestik works best ...
See my site

Good Job Tim .. Looks great ..

Ken, looks like everything worked great for you also ... Good job.

counterpose ground: Never had to do that .. Just run a ground wire (10gauge works great) to your mounting bracket from the frame and you get a full ground plane system. No problem !!

I thought that counterpose and ground wire are one of the same. Maybe I am mixed up on my termonogy. I run two approx 3 ft ground wires 10 gage to the frame near the seat post.

Gary
:04biker:

Back
Top Bottom