Finally found my quiet ride - ST1100

Bike
R1200RT
Been fighting the loud wind noise since I bought my ST1100 last spring, I hate ringing ears and wearing ear plugs, not that they helped worth a damn. Bike started with a Rifle that I cut down to see better over, and all hell broke loose - very loud. I ordered a Laminar windscreen w/ lip, still too loud no matter how I placed the lip, sent it back.
I then visited Clearview since it was an hour away and tried a medium, too loud and a large - too high. I then ordered a new Rifle 22" - could just barely see over the edge, was better but still some noise - but I hate looking through a shield. I cut it down to 21" and it was too loud again. ARRGG!
I then ordered a Laminar lip for the Rifle, cut the Rifle down to 19" and installed lip with Lip Tracs (pm me if you are interested - they allow the lip to move up and down by loosening a couple hand screws) with the top edge of the lip about half an inch above the Rifle. Went for a ride today, and all I hear is the sound of the engine at highway speeds. Finally. Now I have absolutely no complaints about what has to be the best $3,000 bike on the planet.

Last edited:
I have a 20" Rifle on my ST1100 and also find it to generate quite a bit of wind noise. You should post a few photos of the mods you made to your Rifle shield as I am sure others on the board would appreciate seeing your solution.

I found the email of the guy who makes the Lip Tracs. His name is Tim Shelvin, I found them searching old posts on the ST-Riders forum. Here's his email, they cost $25 shipped and work fantastic. They allow about 3" of the lip up or down by in about 2 seconds.
tim@continentalsigns.com
Contact Laminar and order the lip for the Rifle, that was $95. It wasnt too hard to line up and put on, just need to make sure you do it indoors - the tape won't stick well if it's cold.
I'll see if I can take a pic later, but it just looks like your typical Laminar lip setup, however you arent using the 3m scotchlocks, you're using the little tracks on each side that are the same size as the scotchlocks.

Last edited:
Thanks for your Rifle/Lip report.... I have the +2 Rifle and have the same noise problem you do/did at hiway speeds.

Based on your review I see a Lip in my 2009 Crystal Ball!

Jerry

Been fighting the loud wind noise since I bought my ST1100 last spring, I hate ringing ears and wearing ear plugs, not that they helped worth a damn. Bike started with a Rifle that I cut down to see better over, and all hell broke loose - very loud. I ordered a Laminar windscreen w/ lip, still too loud no matter how I placed the lip, sent it back.
I then visited Clearview since it was an hour away and tried a medium, too loud and a large - too high. I then ordered a new Rifle 22" - could just barely see over the edge, was better but still some noise - but I hate looking through a shield. I cut it down to 21" and it was too loud again. ARRGG!
I then ordered a Laminar lip for the Rifle, cut the Rifle down to 19" and installed lip with Lip Tracs (pm me if you are interested - they allow the lip to move up and down by loosening a couple hand screws) with the top edge of the lip about half an inch above the Rifle. Went for a ride today, and all I hear is the sound of the engine at highway speeds. Finally. Now I have absolutely no complaints about what has to be the best $3,000 bike on the planet.

Hi,

I have a 1991 St-1100 that I bought a few months ago and I am trying to decide on a windshield. Can you tell exactly what you bought and where??

Thanks,

Dave Marrier

Back
Top Bottom