Boots Disappointed with Sidi boots

Ripshod

Prym8 on 2 wheels
I went looking for a new pair of boots. The old Alpinestar Stage Gore-tex boots (That model has since been replaced by the Web) which I'd had for six years had been great boots. My feet never got wet and they held up nicely for the most part. I had to have a sole re-glued early last year, but they still kept the water out. The problem was that, off the bike, they weren't very good for walking in. In fact, they were downright painful until I installed a gel heel cup. Even then, about a couple hundred yards was all I could comfortably go before considering going barefoot. For that reason, I always packed a pair of tennis shoes on long trips along with my sandals, in case I had to go on any hikes or long walks.

So I decided to get a pair of Sidi Sport Rain Boots. They have an aggressive lug sole and are about 3" shorter overall. I hoped that, by switching to a more comfortable boot, I could leave the sneakers at home. I ordered them from New Enough for $200 even. I had high hopes.

When they came, I was excited. I liked the looks of them and the zipper/velcro closure and the stout soles, but after the first step, I noticed there was a big problem. You see, both boots have a large, oddly-shaped toe shift pad. The pad is very stiff. With every step, the flex along the upper foot sent that shift pad gouging into the top of my foot. It hurt like hell. I wore them for a short trip to the hardware store (in the cage) and walking up the aisles became an exercise in finding a silly walk which didn't cause intense pain on the top of my foot. I was unsuccessful. In the back of my mind, I was thinking that if I could break them in they'd be fine, but my feet told me they'd never make it that long.

I reluctantly sent them back ( I really wanted to like those boots!) and, to my surprise, New Enough emailed me a gift certificate code for $220. I don't know why they kicked in the extra $20. The shipping cost wasn't near that. But I didn't complain. I ordered a pair of Aplinestars Ridge Boots on the recommendation of a friend. Since they only cost $130, I also picked up some miscellaneous items, such as one more pair of Sidi's Coolmax Socks. Them's some good socks.

New Enough will give you an extra 10% if you ask for a gift certificate instead of money back on a return.

I have a pair of Sidi Thunders that I love and they are very comfortable. Just sorry they are discontinued.

By looking at the links you gave, I would say you got a better boot; WATERPROOF. The Sidi boot you got was only water resistant.

I found two reviews online for the Sidis, both said the boots are completely waterproof. One guy stood in over-the-ankle water for a few minutes and didn't get a drop. They both also gushed about how comfortable they are. I guess I have to blame my foot.

I was only able to find one testimonial about the A-stars - a guy I've known for 25 years and wears them every time he rides. I don't like their looks as much but I didn't buy them for a fashion statement. So far so good on the fit. Haven't ridden in them yet so we'll see.

Yeah, I love New Enough.

Last edited:
I found two reviews online for the Sidis, both said the boots are completely waterproof. NOe guy stood in over-the-ankle water for a few minutes and didn't get a drop. They both also gushed about how comfortable they are. I guess I have to blame my foot.

I was only able to find one testimonial about the A-stars - a guy I've known for 25 years and wears them every time he rides. I don't like their looks as much but I didn't buy them for a fashion statement. So far so good on the fit. Haven't ridden in them yet so we'll see.

Yeah, I love New Enough.

I believe the model that won the "standing in the water" test was the SIDI On Road Sympatex.
I just replaced my old Sidi's with the Combat Lites from Aerostitch, which are made by Sidi. They are very comfortable but not billed as waterproof. Most reviews on the Sidi Combat Touring & Lites say that the waterproofness is very good after applying the recommended waterproofing products. My feet did not get wet in 7 hours of heavy rain coming home from Moonshine.

I have a pair of Sidi Stradas that I have had for years. I wear them if it is going to be cold or wet. I could walk around all day in them from day one. They have a membrane on the zipper side to keep water out & the zipper only goes down part way. Probably only water resistant but have worked so far.

I also have a pair of Sidi Vertigo Air race boots. Very nice boots for riding but I had to walk around in them a lot before it was comfortable for any length of time. I tried on several set of AStars but never could find one that was comfortable enough to leave the store in.

Last edited:
??? I have 2 pair of SIDI boots (one being the same boots you mentioned) that I can wear all day long even at work and they have never been anything but comfortable... neither of mine even required any break in, they were comfortable from the first time I put them on... are you sure you have them on the right feet??? :eek::

Pretty unique experience and bummer no doubt... I Love SIDI boots,, hope you find something that works but I think you'll find that the majority of SIDI owners are SIDI fans...
:run1:

Different boots for different feet I'm sure...

Last edited:
I found two reviews online for the Sidis, both said the boots are completely waterproof. NOe guy stood in over-the-ankle water for a few minutes and didn't get a drop. They both also gushed about how comfortable they are. I guess I have to blame my foot..

Hhmm, the NE Web site said water resistant, the Sidi home page said:

Membrane equipped to add a water resistant yet breathable barrier between the elements and the rider s feet.

To me, that means if your out in the rain long enough, your feet gonna get wet. As for standing in water for a FEW MINUTES, that isn't long enough!

When I was looking for another pair of boots to replace my old Sidi, I even contacted them and they said the only boots they have that are waterPROOF is the ones with Goretex in it ($$$) I ended up getting Alpine Star boots with Goretex for a lot less, very happy with them.

I have the Sidi On-Road Goretex. They were pretty comfortable from day one. They are even better now that they are broken in. I ridden in them, then gone out for the evening in them and I have no complaints for general comfort so far. I have found them to be getting hot in 90 degree temps. Not sure how well I'll do in 100 degree temps.

Ray

I believe the model that won the "standing in the water" test was the SIDI On Road Sympatex.

The review was for the Sport Rain Boots. I've heard lots of good things about the On Roads but I was looking for a shorter boot. And I was surprised that the Sidis were so uncomfortable. I've heard nothing but good things about them. I'm sure it's just my feet.

Not to get too picky...

SIDI ON ROAD SYMPATEX BOOTS $230

This is it. The only boot among our contenders that actually deserves to be advertised as 100 percent waterproof. Even after all the other boots had reached the point of saturation, the On Road remained impervious. Out of curiosity, we left them in the tub for an additional 12 hours and still nothing -- not even a hint of dampness inside. And unlike some of the other boots, the Sidis didn't trap water between the leather and lining, proving that the seams work beautifully too. After 12 hours the boot did weigh an additional three ounces, which was probably due to water held in the leather itself. The On Road was in the tub for a full 24 hours, yet it was still dry before two-thirds of its competitors -- all of which had an extra 12 hours on the drying table. It did transfer some dye when wet, though.

This is an impressive motorcycle boot in many other ways. The On Road's Italian top-grain leather is treated to be oil-resistant as well as water-resistant for easy cleaning, yet the whole, fully lined package is breathable enough to be comfortable in hot weather, even when you're wearing thick socks. The toe/shifter area is reinforced with an additional layer of leather, and soft, padded leather inserts at the front and back of the ankle provide immediate flexibility. The shin area receives additional padding for impact protection.

The On Road's look is a bit different from the other boots we tested. It's tall (12.5 inches) and uses four hook-and-loop adjustable straps drawn through plastic eyelets for closure. It's a bit of a soft-core, endurance-style look and almost everyone tends to think "Mad Max" when they see them. These ain't no sissy boots, and the performance backs up the stout looks.

Sidi's impressive and impervious On Road boots are available in sizes 5 through 13 for approximately $230.

Sorry you had a bad experience with the Sidi boots. When I bought mine they were the called Sport Tepor and was the first year they were offered with the lugged sole. I wore out the soles last year and had them resoled with Vibram soles. One of the things I noticed about this boot is how tight you adjust the tops. Like a lot of shoes/boots they can be a little stiff when new. I noticed that if I held my leg back against the back of the boot when securing the top it caused more flex at the front. I found that if I leaned my leg forward some when securing the top it gave my leg more room and didn't cause as much flex which made them more comfortable when new. Now that they are broken in I can secure the top in any position and don't have any problems.

As far as being water resistant/proof, I've never had wet feet wearing these boots. As long as the water doesn't get above the edge of the boot.

With that said, boots are like seats, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for everyone.

This sounds like an unlucky fit. My SIDI's are great and very, very comfortable. I have the Tepor boot that preceded the one you describe.....it's still the same boot except for a few cosmetic changes.

Sorry it didn't fit well....I've had nothing but good luck with my SIDIs.

Forest

Not to get too picky...

SIDI ON ROAD SYMPATEX BOOTS $230

This is it. The only boot among our contenders that actually deserves to be advertised as 100 percent waterproof.

Obviously I read a different review. I know that Sidi makes great boots. If I'm ever in the market for another pair of taller boots, I'll probably try the On Roads. By the way, it looks like they don't make them with SympaTex anymore. It's all Gore-Tex now. And it looks like they've done a redesign on the On Roads. I like the new closure better.

Last edited:
I'm quite surprised about your experience with the Alpinestars Web Gore tex.

I'm now on my second pair and they are completely waterproof, I have never had wet feet even on extended all day in the wet rides.

They are also extremely comfortable (for me) as I can walk around in them all day if I wish.

Not sure which boot in the Sidi line they are but Jan has a pair and likes them.

They are also a waterproof boot that have performed well.

I absolutely agree with the complete waterproof experience with the Stage/Web boots.
Again, it must be my feet.

I have the Way Mega Rains, size 43. I have wider feet, and high insteps. The boots are very good, but they're tight on the width. They will loosen up after a few months, but they're still too narrow. These boots are HOT (temp-wise). I wear'm to work, but by the afternoon, I've got to take them off to dry them out.

Since I started this thread, I found a pair of Sidi Dohas on Craigslist and bought them. I wouldn't normally do that but these were brand new and very cheap at $50. They are of course very light on protection. I'll only wear them when running errands and such around town, not when spending a few hours dancing in the twisties. I'd read a few user reviews online so after I bought them I knew to stop at a drugstore on the way home for a pair of gel inserts. Over all they're pretty good. They'll break in fine I'm sure, and they're already the most comfortable bike-specific footwear I own.

So it's not that I have anything against Sidi as a brand. It's just that particular style that I don't get along with.

Just so you dont feel like the lone stranger, I love my Sidi boots when i'm riding- for all the reasons listed.

I find them so uncomfortable to walk in that I consider changing into shoes when I have to walk in the store to pay for gas.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had a pair of Sidi Trails Courier Boots for 2 or 3 years as my winter commuting boot. http://www.dirtbikexpress.co.uk/moto...s_courier_boot

They are long enough to stop the draft going up my leg when wearing textile 'Baby Grow' trousers which is why I replaced my old boot

They have remained waterproof althought they are a bit cold, but I have had real comfort issues with them.

Up front I will admit that I might have brought the wrong boot for the wrong application but :

I found the reinforced soles to be like having two planks of wood strapped to my feet, it took a long time to get the muscle memory to be able to flick a quick gear change , especially between 1st up into 2nd, the commuting and filtering gears !

But for me the biggest literal pain has been the external heel protectors, I found they make it very difficult to rotate the ankles and the thing digs in at the top of my achillies tendon . (Like most ST1100 riders I generally ride with pegs around mid-instep and the foot pointing down 3 inches below the peg)

I now have tendonitis in both heels as old injuries have been aggrevated, by this feature. .

For the same reason I wouldn't like to walk more than 300 yards in them.

They are a well built boot that even after after 20k miles look as new and as I say I may have got the wrong boot for the wrong application. But I would be very careful with any design which has an external heel plate. When I put the boots on I was aware of the tightness (SIDI would say support) around the heel, which I thought would loosen up like my old Alpine Stars did. But the design doesn't just let it do that .

Far better appears to be the TCX brand

Their Infinity GTX was a clear winner in a magazine test of the all-weather boots of the UK market back in '08 http://www.motorcyclenews.com/upload/Ride Magazine/Product test pdfs/10 OCT08 WP boot test.pdf

And to my mind the concertina insert heel design appears more humane and flexible than the external insert of the SIDI boot.

http://www.tcxboots.com/usa/

Back
Top Bottom