Clutch Noise - Solved

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've written about this problem before here. You can read my previous posts and replies at THREADt1 and THREAD2. If this problem intrigues you, some info in the initial posts will give you a better understanding of the symptoms as this problem unfolded. This is more a report on what made the noise than a request for help, but if you wish to comment, feel free.

Briefly, my ST 1300 developed a clunking noise when shifting between 4th and 5th and letting out the clutch. This then progressed to the noise being heard and felt when the clutch was engaged after any shift (usually up). Then, after my winter layup, I heard a rattle - like loose gravel in the clutch housing at idle (and only idle). This noise faded away as the rpm's increased and was affected if I pulled in the clutch (at idle). There was no other sign that anything was wrong - the bike ran great, gas mileage was not affected, performance showed no change that I could see, hear or feel.

Last fall, just before winter layup, the local dealer had pulled the front cover off and changed the primary drive shaft. He heard and felt the clunk and thought the shock absorbing spring was weak. They charged me a bundle and were wrong. The mechanic told me he heard the same noise after the ?repair? in his test ride. This spring, after my layup, I heard a loud rattle from the clutch. I took the bike to Kevin (see LINKY 2). Due to his work load, he suggested I see what the dealer would say. To be fair, the bike did not exhibit the ?rattle? when I idled it for the dealer. After reviewing his notes, the dealer's mechanic suggested, "I'd replace the whole damn clutch" - I ran as far and as fast as I could.

I liked Kevin?s approach to diagnosing this - he used a stethoscope to localize the noise, checked the bike over, listened while I revved, it, squeezed the clutch, etc.. He thought it was the primary drive gear - a two piece gear with springs between the drive side and the driven side - and said the springs could be broken or weak. I suggested it might be the water pump chain or timing chain since he had isolated the sound to the front clutch cover area.

The answer: Kevin took the bike apart and found:
1. The clutch basket was 'loose' that is, it would turn back and forth with hand pressure. He removed the clutch and looked at the primary drive gear. As said above, this gear is a two piece assembly with springs between the two parts. (The clutch basket should be held tightly by a properly preloaded primary gear).

When the clutch basket (Honda?s name is ?clutch outer?) is reinstalled, one is supposed to preload the springs in the primary drive gear by inserting a screwdriver into a slot in this assembly and lever the front gears one tooth, compressing the springs The clutch outer is then engaged to the primary drive gear. My dealer did not do this when he reassembled the clutch last fall; Kevin found no preload on the springs and the clutch basket therefore would turn back and forth until the slack between the gears and the springs was taken up. This is what caused the 'rattle' or 'gravel in the clutch' sound I heard.

2. He also felt that the looseness and subsequent shock loading on the water pump chain by the clutch caused the water pump chain to stretch so that was replaced. (I put in excess of 500 miles on the bike after the dealer?s failed attempt to fix the ?clunk? so the clutch had no preload for this time.)

3. The clutch basket seemed to wobble a very little bit on its shaft. There is a needle bearing inside the clutch basket that rides on a bushing. This bushing was worn (it measured out of spec) and and this caused the little 'wobble'. Kevin said that the needle bearing almost never wears and it is not a separate part (the clutch basket costs about $200+ w/ the bearing). After replacing this bushing, the clutch outer was significantly tighter on the new bushing/shaft.

4. He played with the water pump and was not happy with the way it felt. In the end he replaced the bearing (not the seal) and with the bearing out, felt a little roughness when you turn the races. This was a judgment call and I have to play with the bearing for several minutes before I feel the roughness.

The bike went back together and Kevin took it out for a test ride. No gravel noise and a quieter bike. We talked more about the ?clunk?. A second test ride yielded this noise (it is intermittent) and he took it back to the shop, put it on the center stand, and with a helper blipping the throttle and by using his stethoscope, he was able to isolate the sound to the joint between the final drive and the swing arm. He said he has a few Gold Wings that make this same noise ? it is the loading and unloading of the splined joint in the drive shaft. It was late in the day, time was short, I was on my way to pick up the bike, and he said it was not serious.

Next winter, when I replace the rear tire, I?ll remove the 4 bolts that hold the final drive to the rear of the swing arm and pull it apart. Then I?ll lube the spline as he suggested with either Permatex copper anti seize or moly paste. He said he has a customer who has had the same clunk for well over 100K miles.

My dealer never found this problem. The dealer?s mechanic?s technique was to listen to me, test drive the bike, formulate a diagnosis and begin. He did check the final drive and U joint for play (basically a static test as described to me) and said he did not think the clunk originated there. I do not know if he did any other diagnostic tests or investigating. He was open about not knowing what the problem might be, said this was a gamble but it was his best guess. After he replaced the primary shaft and heard the same clunk, he offered to take the rear wheel/final drive, driveshaft out to investigate. He did drop the oil pan and examined the underside of the crankcase/transmission. And I understand the last guy benefits from those who were wrong before and will be called a genius when he fixes the problem. However, his mistake in reassembly made the problem worse and might have caused wear on the chain and bushing. Who knows?

However, Kevin listened to me, and prceeded in a methodical manner to diagnose the problem ? he looked at the shop manual clutch section, listened to the bike, used his stethoscope, and found and corrected the problem. He told me he was a trained mechanic, worked primarily on Gold Wings with a smattering of other bikes and had worked on very few ST?s. In the end, not all mechanics are created equal.

Sounds like Kevin is a keeper, and your Honda dealer is like every other dealer I've dealt with over 36 years, worthless at best, and negative worth in most cases. Its logical though, when you pay your mechanics crap, you get crap mechanics.

Then I’ll lube the spline as he suggested with either Permatex copper anti seize or moly paste.

Why on earth would you use thread lubricant in a high-pressure application?

--Mark

Why on earth would you use thread lubricant in a high-pressure application?

--Mark

Mark,
Kevin suggested that; I asked him about Moly PASTE, though I've seen Moly Grease suggested for splined drive shafts in other applications. He has used it before and swears by it. I'll use whatever Honda recommends in their shop manual. I suspect that the Permatex was what he had on hand and used on one such noisy drive shaft, and it worked. Since his customers tend to stick with him for a long time, he sees what works and what doesn't.

Not to dip a toe in the river Styx, but, if manufacturers extensively research what makes their bikes last longest, why would anyone use anything on their bike that was not recommended (oils, batteries, tires, pick your item)?

Peter

P.S. I will answer a question not yet asked. I took the bike to the dealer and Kevin because I knew that digging this deeply into the bike during the riding season would take me longer than I wanted the bike out of commission. And, I wondered if I had the experience to pick up all of the problems. Now, I question if I would have spotted the worn bushing on the back of the clutch outer, and I might have skipped replacing the water pump drive chain (though I know how to tell if a bike's chain drive is worn by pulling on it around the sprocket). And then there is the problem of special tools.....though I have fabricated some in the past.

Kevin suggested that; I asked him about Moly PASTE, though I've seen Moly Grease suggested for splined drive shafts in other applications. He has used it before and swears by it. I'll use whatever Honda recommends in their shop manual. I suspect that the Permatex was what he had on hand and used on one such noisy drive shaft, and it worked.

It may have worked to reduce the noise, but it isn't a good lubricant for driveshaft splines, which put a lot of pressure on the surfaces. The molybdenum in the grease they specify makes sure the grease can take the pressure and, more importantly, helps it stay put.

Anti-seize is for a sliding joint that only moves twice: once when the fastener is installed and once when it's removed. It contains no moly, which makes it easier to squeeze out of the joint, leaving the surfaces un-lubricated. The Permatex copper stuff is described as containing "a high percentage of micro-fine copper flakes," which makes me wonder if it isn't slightly abrasive. That's probably not something you want in a joint that moves every time you get on or off the throttle or apply the brakes.

Not to dip a toe in the river Styx, but, if manufacturers extensively research what makes their bikes last longest, why would anyone use anything on their bike that was not recommended (oils, batteries, tires, pick your item)?

Most times, the bike's manufacturer recommends that you use something that meets an established standard and there are plenty of non-OEM products that meet it (oil, tires and spline grease being great examples).

If the manufacturers always got it right, life would be great, but they don't, and sometimes you have to look for something better. I installed non-OEM, constant-torque hose clamps in my cooling system because the ones Honda shipped on my bike didn't do their job. It's one thing to switch to something else to solve what was clearly a problem; it's another to switch to something else that may appear to work but isn't doing you any favors.

Don't get me wrong; other than that one thing, it sounds like Kevin's somebody to stick with.

--Mark

Most times, the bike's manufacturer recommends that you use something that meets an established standard and there are plenty of non-OEM products that meet it (oil, tires and spline grease being great examples).

If the manufacturers always got it right, life would be great, but they don't, and sometimes you have to look for something better. I installed non-OEM, constant-torque hose clamps in my cooling system because the ones Honda shipped on my bike didn't do their job. It's one thing to switch to something else to solve what was clearly a problem; it's another to switch to something else that may appear to work but isn't doing you any favors.

Don't get me wrong; other than that one thing, it sounds like Kevin's somebody to stick with.

--Mark

Thanks for the info on the splined joint. It never would have occurred to me that the copper might be abrasive. Regardless, my tendency is to go by the book unless I have seen concrete evidence to the contrary. I have both Honda's Paste and Moly grease - I'll read the book and see what is recommended.

Using more expensive and better (constant torque clamps) is a no brainer for me. I often use better quality fittings than specified. But experimenting with motor oils in order to save a few bucks on an expensive bike sounds to me like false economy - unless of course you happen to be a chemist who formulates additive packages for infernal combustion engines or otherwise have knowledge that most of us lack. A little knowledge can be dangerous, they say. Years ago, I was getting ready to substitute auto oil filters for the Moto Guzzi filter (which cost around $15) until I read an article specifically writeen on that subject. Evidently the setting of the over pressure relief valve inside an oil filter is propietary knowledge and the writer said other specs made using cheap auto filters iffy. I decided I could afford one MG brand oli filter a year - because I did not know enough about oil filters and the requirements of that specific engine. Of course, the guys who used the cheaper filters had no problems at all - and in any case proving said filters caused a problem would have been nigh on impossible. YMMV, my choice so I can sleep better at night.

I have an auto mechanic I've used for years. I found him after being screwed by a succession of mechanics. This guy is as honest as the day is long - sure he makes mistakes (he is human) but he is a trusted friend now. I plan to keep using Kevin for anything other than routine maintenance that I do myself.

Back
Top Bottom