Advice in screens- ST1100

Morning everyone. I need some advice on a screen for the ST1100 I just purchased.

I'm 6'4" tall and want to do a lot of 2 up touring. I found the standard screen was horrible for wind roar (I know helmet choice here is a factor) and I want to get a new one. As it is going to cost about $320.00 AUD to get it to Australia I want to make the best choice possible......

So, should I go for a tall +8" Cee Bailey screen with NACA vent or

Clearview HON-ST0X GT X Large 24.5" L with adjustable vent from sporttouringusa?

So you more experienced taller riders who like 2 up at open road speeds, what are your thoughts? Is tallest better? Should I just go one of the screens in 4"-6" oversize? Is there anything else or another obscure brand I should be looking for? Should I look at smaller screen with those "ear" tabs and mirror shields (they look great!) to help improve airflow?

The handbrake on the back (better known as my wife Joanne) said she was copping a lot of buffeting around her head/neck that she never got with the GTR1000 we used to have. I found that I was not getting as much helmet slapping buffeting but more wind noise compared to the GTR. Helmet choice will come in here, but I will get the screen sorted first.

Not wanting to bash either brand or company, I'm just interested in personal observations from similar proportioned riders so we don't blow a fortune.

I also know that there is never going to be 1 perfect screen, there will always be tradeoff's. One deciding factor here is the need for some airflow in the hot Australian summer months. That's why I'm thinking the adjustable vent will be a MUST!

Thanks in advance.....

Craig & Joanne.

Craig,

I have a '95 also. I've been through several screens, looking for the perfect "cone of silence" Never really found it, but my latest is what I'll be staying with for the time being. I have a Rifle, the tallest they make (I'm 6'1") along with a Laminar Lip. I put in the "Cat's eyes" cutouts. Keeps the direct wind blast off the helmet, but there is still plenty of noise, so I wear ear plugs. Never got a report from my wife, though, as she doesn't ride a lot. Wind does hit the shoulders, but it doesn't bother me. I've tried the Clearview with the central vent. Felt too big, although it may well work for your purposes. I also tried the Laminar Combo. Let's the smooth air hit the helmet. Feels a lot more sporty, improves the gas mileage, but I didn't like all that air hitting me on long rides. Some people do, though. I even tried an Aussie screen, Eagle, I think. Put the edge of the air stream right at my visor. Got rid of it pronto, although, again, some folks really like it. I have both the Laminar combo and the Clearview (with central vent and Laminar lip) if you'd like to try. If interested send me an email.

Bill Rankin
Davenport, Iowa

Laminar Lip combo works well for me and my wife. I'm 6'3", she's about 5'3". With the stock shield she had serious buffeting even at about 60 mph. It's gone with the LL combo. There's still noise and a bit of wind for me but it's a vast improvement over the stock. It's a bit fiddly getting it set up for height but worth it in our opinion.
Cheers,
Cliff.

Back
Top Bottom