A big thank you to Igofar & jfheath!

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
For more than a month, I tried to diagnose a serious brake dragging problem on my ST1300 and it a was very frustrating experience.
I have replaced the SMC and the pads with the OEM, checked the calipers, tested the seals and rubbers, flushed and bleed the circuit 3 times and also, put new springs and new stoppers.
It was a long process and a complex investigation, the ST braking system is something to understand and its not so obvious.

---------- But today and, it is a huge satisfaction, I can say problem "solved" --------------------
I went on a long ride this morning and came back tonight after dark, the rotors are not hot and the brakes are not dragging anymore, victory!

My point is that wouldn't have been able fix it without the invaluable help of Igofar and jfheath.
I really want to thank them for the time, the patience and the knowledge they provided to me.

They are truly amazing people, they know so much about the ST and are willing to help graciously the members of this forum and this when you need it the most.
Thank you!

Sounds great.
What was the problem?
To be honest, I am still not 100% sure of the root of the problem.
The SMC played a large part in the trouble and, I also learned few things.
Mainly, it takes a lot of efforts to get any residual air out of the circuit.
As long as you have air inside, the pistons cannot retract properly.
The lever and the pedal pressure can feel like normal but some air can still be inside the circuit.
Air is compressible, expand when hot and keep pushing on the pistons even after releasing the brakes.
There is no objective way to find out until you test drive the bike.
A successful bleeding is a chore to achieve!
I would recommend to keep the old pad when replacing the SMC or bleeding the system.
When installing new pads at the same time it is becoming very complicated to diagnose if any problem is about new pads needing to seat or about air still in the system.
It was my mistake!

Last, for years I used EBC pads because of the crazy cost of the OEM. This time I used the Honda pads and I am amazed by the upgrade.
Better bite, much more braking power, they are worth the investment!

From what I've read here, the OEM pads, particularly for the 1300, are about equal to any aftermarket ones in terms of performance, and you save lots of hassle in the fitment, at least in the front.
Sure, they may cost more initially, but it's not like we have to replace them annually.
And if it IS a yearly maintenance item for someone, their tire budget must be impressive!

For more than a month, I tried to diagnose a serious brake dragging problem on my ST1300 and it a was very frustrating experience.
I have replaced the SMC and the pads with the OEM, checked the calipers, tested the seals and rubbers, flushed and bleed the circuit 3 times and also, put new springs and new stoppers.
It was a long process and a complex investigation, the ST braking system is something to understand and its not so obvious.

---------- But today and, it is a huge satisfaction, I can say problem "solved" --------------------
I went on a long ride this morning and came back tonight after dark, the rotors are not hot and the brakes are not dragging anymore, victory!

My point is that wouldn't have been able fix it without the invaluable help of Igofar and jfheath.
I really want to thank them for the time, the patience and the knowledge they provided to me.

They are truly amazing people, they know so much about the ST and are willing to help graciously the members of this forum and this when you need it the most.
Thank you!
Hi,
In the end, what was the issue causing the dragging brake?
Jack
PS - I grew up in Hyde Park, NY

Great that your bike is fixed, it would be nice to know (so we all learn something today) what the problem was (like asked), however we may never know... :) ... other than it has to do with the SMC... which...

Anywho... this is an interesting theory:

As long as you have air inside, the pistons cannot retract properly.

Air is compressible, expand when hot and keep pushing on the pistons even after releasing the brakes.

Which is not (alas) supported by the operation of the braking system, where upon releasing the "brakes - lever/pedal" the internal pressure is exposed to atmosphere via the return port in MC(s) because, as physics has it, pressure follows the path of least resistance.

I must have missed this post when it came out 3 years ago. Early Sept 2021, we would have been in the middle of a tour. Whatever - thank you @Sidekick for the kind comment.

I don't go along with the notion about air in the brake lines causing brakes to drag or needing fluid in the system for the pistons to retract. More a combination of all of the things that you did to service the brake system made it work properly.

Not that it matters (although I will explain if you want explanation). What matters is that you did the work and your brskes are working as they should. Three years on since the first post - are they still working ?

Back
Top Bottom