From North Carolina to New England: My Motorcycle Trip

Horsehead

Slow Pokin' the Southeast
Bike
'01 ST1100
When I bought the ST11 back in March, one of the main reasons I picked it was the reputation it had for reliability and longevity. My previous two motorcycles were a 1997 Honda Shadow 1100, which was loud and fun, but terribly uncomfortable after more than an hour or two in the saddle. That bike was replaced by an 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200. It was the polar opposite of the shadow. With factory exhaust it was quiet as a church mouse. But the unassuming purr of the engine concealed a torquey monster waiting to escape. I took that bike up to Pennsylvania once, and it was a great trip, but the lack of wind / weather protection and the factory seat left me exhausted and sore at the end of the day. Enter the ST11. I knew I wanted to go places by motorcycle, and I knew I needed something better than my previous experiences.

Since getting the bike titled, tagged, new rubber, fluids, etc. in late March / early April, I’ve been riding as often as I could manage to get away. Learning my new machine and getting comfortable with both motorcycle and motorcycling once more. After a couple months and several thousand miles, I knew I was ready to hit the open road for parts unknown.

So one day, out of the blue, I said to my wife, “I think I’m going on a road trip at the end of the summer.” “Where to?” she asked. “Maine.” I replied. I’m honestly not sure where that destination came from. I suppose just the fact that I’ve spent my entire life, more or less, in and around North Carolina, and have rarely been north of the Mason Dixon line, save as a child visiting relatives on Long Island.

Maine. There it was. A destination. A goal. A complete unknown.

I started listening to podcasts on motorcycle travel, reading articles, watching YouTube videos. I even bought Ted Simon’s Jupiter’s Travels to give myself some inspiration.

20210731_201815.jpg

I am a planner, a researcher… Someone who is often overcome by what I have come to describe as “Paralysis by Analysis.” I wanted this trip to be different. I wanted to be prepared, but I also wanted to be spontaneous.

The first thing I did was sit down on the computer and try to pick a specific destination in Maine. It’s a big state, so I needed some idea of where I was actually trying to get. Looking at Google Maps, I found place called Moosehorn National Wildlife Refuge. It’s on the far northeast side of the state, just below the Canadian border. That became my tentative goal.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.03.34 AM.png

However, a few days later I mentioned the trip to a friend and told him I wasn’t really certain where I was trying to get, but that I was definitely going to Maine. He enthusiastically informed me that he and his wife had taken a trip up there several years ago. He told me they stayed at a bed and breakfast at a place called Deer Isle right on the coast and raved about the location. I began looking into Deer Isle and discovered that it was just a stone’s throw from Acadia National Park and that certain undeveloped parts of it were quite comparable to the Acadia without all the tourists.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 11.04.48 AM.png

Not much of one for bed and breakfasts, I began to look for what other accommodations might be on or near the island. It wasn’t long before I stumbled upon an off grid, back to earth, self sufficient hostel right on the island, directly bordering a natural preserve. My parents were very much a part of that movement back in the 1970s after my dad got home from Vietnam. He and my mom did a lot of Mother Earth News type stuff and my wife and I are trying to do what we can to learn more about some of those concepts, so to find this place was like the hand of destiny pointing me to where I ought to wind up. I checked on their availability and there was only 1 open night that fit my schedule. While I would love to stay longer, one night was better than none. I booked it. $40 plus tax for a room for the night, dinner, and the chance to meet some interesting people… I was thrilled.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 10.45.31 AM.png

Now I had 2 pieces of the puzzle put together. A concrete destination and timeframe. How would the rest fall into place?

I decided immediately that I would be doing this trip on a budget and on my own as much as possible. Instead of hotels / motels/ airbnbs or anything else, I would be camping. And I would be primitive camping for free, stealth camping if I must. With that decision made, I did made one big purchase. I have been wanting a proper camping hammock for years, but could never bring myself to spend the money on one. But now, knowing that if I used it for the trip instead of otherwise paying for accommodations, it would pay for itself in just a matter of days. I ordered a Warbonnet hammock and tarp immediately to ensure it would arrive on time and I would have a chance to spend at least one or two nights in it before it would be my home away from home…

20210721_114515.jpg

Things were quickly falling into place, and I only had a couple of weeks to prepare. To make matters a bit more stressful, my work schedule picked up. Looking at the calendar, there would be very few opportunities to sit down and work on planning a route, or figuring out other details, like where I would camp on the way there and the way back.

As the days drew short, I continued listening to moto-travel podcasts and reading Ted Simon, all the while gaining confidence that somehow, it would all work out.

To be continued...

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
As I said before, work was getting busier and busier, and the week leading up to the trip was no exception. I usually work out of town on Mondays and Tuesdays. This week I was scheduled to be gone Monday through Wednesday with an extra job on Thursday. That left me just Friday to get ready to leave Saturday morning. I wasn’t particularly looking forward to such a tight schedule, but I was thankful for the extra bump in income before being gone.

Friday came and it was spent packing, unpacking, pairing down, repacking, getting everything on the bike, pairing down further still, and repacking once more. Before long I decided to scrap my whole system and try to get by with as little as possible. I got rid of every extra article of clothing, gear, or creature comfort I could. Everything extraneous was going to be left behind. I got rid of the backpack and duffle bag I had been using and just put everything in the draw-string protective bags that came with my helmets. These turned out to be perfect, as I could carry them when I needed to, and they compressed easily in the the ST11’s factory / Givi panniers. Finally, at about 9pm on Friday night. The bike was fully packed and ready to go. My riding gear was laid out, my route was planned, my mind... racing.

The alarm clock went off at 6am Saturday morning, and it was time to go. A quick shower, a couple cups of coffee, and a few minutes with my wife before saying our good byes. I hit the road at 7am. At my first fuel stop, a friendly group of Harley riders from a local Moose Lodge in Southern Virginia chatted with me for a while. I told them about my trip and they were very encouraging. One of the lady riders offered to take my picture to send back to my family. I was happy for their kindness and camaraderie.

20210731_095358.jpg

My goal was to make it to Pennsylvania and find a place to camp. I knew my first day would be largely spent on the interstate, but that was ok. My goal was to make it to the Delaware Water Gap area. I had figured I would find somewhere in that region to hang my hammock that would be out of sight and out of mind.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 3.32.34 PM.png

Around noon, I took my first detour / pit stop. As you may have gathered from previous posts, I am a pipe smoker. It’s a hobby I have enjoyed since I was a teenager and discovered one of my grandpa’s pipes as my dad and I cleaned out his house after he died. That was 25 years ago. So, whenever I travel, I do my best to drop in on at least one or two Tobacconists. And perhaps none are better known in central Pennsylvania than J.M. Boswell’s. I have one of his pipes and it is a fantastic smoker, and he has many house blends that are a real treat as well. If you're in the area, do yourself a favor and pay him a visit.

20210731_130028.jpg

Back on the road, my mind turned to the second leg of my route. And the more I thought about it, the more it occurred to me that I was going to have a VERY long second day to get to the hostel if I wasn’t going to have 2 full days of interstate riding. I really wanted the majority of my time up north to be spent enjoying secondary roads, not interstates. And so I pressed on and began contemplating what I ought to do. Hours passed and my stomach began to rumble… Time for some lunch. Instead of sitting down in a restaurant, I grabbed an Arby’s sandwich from a drive through, tossed it up between the handlebars, pulled around the block, filled up the ST, and found a picnic table to eat and let my wife know where I was and how I was doing.

20210731_150707.jpg

Several hours later, blasting down the interstate, with the corn and countryside of rural Pennsylvania streaming by in a never ending sea of green, enveloping my peripheral vision, my eyes fixed ahead, waiting for my next opportunity to overtake a semi-tractor-trailer in the never ending game of leap-frog that is I-81 / i-84, I began thinking, “If I can just make it a couple of more hours today, that’s a couple of hours I don’t have to burn rubber on the interstate tomorrow…” And so I got off at a place that looked like a nice spot to walk around, stretch my legs, my back, my aching ass... I drank some water, and studied Google Maps in an attempt to find somewhere that allowed primitive camping that would be at least kind of on the way. And much to my surprise, I found a perfect place. A state run “multi-use area” in New York, less than a mile off the route I had planned. It was around 5:00pm as a I sat at the rest area in PA. Punching in this new destination, my ETA was 7:30pm. "You got this…" I said to myself. And with that, we saddled up and hit the road for the remaining 110 miles or so.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 2.59.26 PM.png

After one final fuel stop, I turned onto a side street, which eventually became a forest service type road. In the failing light, I navigated the washed out gravel road, standing up on the pegs, praying I wouldn't drop the bike after so long a day on the highway unscathed. Soon enough I realized I had gone way too far. This can't be right. I managed to safely execute a U-turn on the loose gravel and headed back to where I'd first entered the woods. Stupidly, I had passed a little clearing almost as soon as the pavement ended. It was a designated parking area for one of the few primitive camping spots at this little persevere. Oh well. I didn't drop the bike and I had only managed to waste a few minutes of precious day-light in the process. The important thing was I made it! I had to chuckle to myself that I left Pleasant Garden, NC at 7 in the morning, with no idea where I was going to sleep that night, and at 7:45 in the evening I was in a little out of the way place called Pleasant Valley, NY. What can I say. I guess I'm just a pleasant guy.

20210731_194619.jpg

I immediately hung my hammock as the sun was setting and the last bits of orange light faded into grey. I couldn’t believe I had the place to myself. Less than 2 hours from the heart of New York City on a Saturday night, I thought for certain this place would be overrun by people trying to get away from the city for a weekend in the woods. Thankfully there wasn’t a soul around.

20210731_200548.jpg

I quickly set about gathering wood for a fire. A blessing in disguise, someone had left what I thought was their camp waste in the fire pit (all I could see was a couple of styrofoam meat trays and some other miscellaneous paper). In reality, it was just 5 or so paper grocery bags with a very insignificant amount of paper plates and utensils mixed in. Still, leave no trace people! But at least I had plenty of help getting the fire going.

I sat in the warm orange glow and boiled a pot of water to reconstitute a bag of freeze dried beef stroganoff. It actually wasn’t half bad. I thought about Ted Simon and all the crazy things he ate on his journey, and how on the first night of his trip after he resolved "No more hotels" he spent it sitting on his motorcycle under an umbrella because the camp ground he'd aimed for was closed. I certainly had fared better, and for that, I was thankful!

20210731_204833.jpg

20210731_212138.jpg

Needless to say, after 13 hours on the road and nearly 700 miles, I was exhausted. I climbed into my hammock and listened to the nocturnal symphony as I drifted off to sleep.

To Be Continued…

Pop-Pop

Site Supporter
Bike
1996 ST 1100
STOC #
I live in Boston and rt2, the mohawk trail, and rt 202, the quabbin route are very nice. Rt 1, coming out of Boston is downrigtht dangerous construction and a very narrow, old tobin bridge. Cars come to a complete stop to get on and have to floor it. Rt 128 out of Boston is mayhem. Just sayin'. It might serve you better to go around. The roads in Boston are pretty rough and there is often gridlock. If you cut up to vermont and then east, its a nice ride Interstate 91 will get you there safely, if you do interstates. If not? Rt 5 n

Duh! You already went! Good to see you stayed safe! Next time u r up here, let me know! I'll show you some sights!

OP
OP
Horsehead

Horsehead

Bike
'01 ST1100
My alarm went off at 5am. I must have silenced it because an hour and 45 minutes later I jolted awake. I can honestly say I do not remember the last time I slept so restfully while camping. I didn’t toss and turn at all. I slept with earplugs in, so I didn’t even wake up in the middle of the night to any coyotes, owls, or other night sounds that sometimes startle the camper out of his slumber. I was thankful for such a restful sleep, but now I was behind schedule. “Crap.” I thought. Even though I had ridden hard the day before, I still had a long day ahead of me if I was going to make it to the hostel in time for dinner at 6:30pm. Dinner was 100% optional. But I really wanted to meet the owners and have a chance to interact with them and some of the other guests. That was, after all, the entire point of staying there instead of in some other sort of lodging.

The route I had selected would take me up the Taconic State Parkway in NY, Northwest through Vermont’s Highway 5, and then due east on New Hampshire’s 302, until I dumped out on Highway 2 into Maine.

Screen Shot 2021-08-06 at 8.11.53 PM.png

I hit the road and it wasn’t long before the fuel light came on. I had ridden the evening before with one goal in mind - get to the campsite. So I pulled off and filled up the ST and grabbed an overpriced Starbucks double shot from the convince store, only to realize after I’d paid for it that the place was literally half gas station, half Dunkin Donuts. Damn. I could’ve gotten a decent cup of hot coffee to ward off the early morning New York chill. Oh well… Next time.

Up through the scenic Taconic Mountains of eastern New York I rolled for around a hundred miles or so. The scenery was beautiful and the ride was sort of like a straighter, four lane divided version of the Blue Ridge Parkway. As a southerner, I tend to equate the North with big cities. It was good to be reminded that wasn’t really an accurate representation of vast swaths of that region… Nevermind the Natty Ice ;)

20210801_081754.jpg

I skirted through the southeast and eastern borders of Vermont, but Vermont wasn’t really my concern today. I would be staying with my Brother in Law at his property in a day or so, and I knew that getting to and from his cabin would take me through the heart of the Green Mountain State, and so I pressed on into New Hampshire.

Ah New Hampshire. What a paradigm shattering place. If I thought the North was just big cities, New Hampshire stopped me, literally, in my tracks. I wish I had Uncle Phil’s ability to ride and photograph at the same time. But alas… I am still a novice motorcyclist, and doing two things at once has never been my forte. I didn’t manage to stop much. But sometimes I just had to hit the brakes, pull over, and admire the scenery, the towns, the farms, the mountains that made up the rural beauty of New Hampshire. Twice, I even remembered to get my phone out at take a photograph.

20210801_120731.jpg

20210801_125407.jpg

But, daylight was burning at I had strict schedule to keep if I was going to make it to dinner on time. And, the son of an Army Captain, if you’re on time… You’re late… So on I pressed.

Sometime in the early afternoon, completely lost in the wonder of such scenic countryside, I rounded a bend, and saw the sign… Too late! I had to drive another mile or two before finding a place to do a U-turn, back track, do another U-turn, and grab the coveted photograph! I MADE IT!

20210801_133737.jpg

I was exhilarated. I still had almost 200 miles to go, but it felt so incredibly good to have come so far. To have crossed through 8 states and ridden almost 1000 miles in roughly 36 hours. Now, I was within striking distance of my end goal.

In the next town I came to, I pulled over for my final fuel stop of both body and bike. Something my wife said before I left was starting to take root in my mind, “Don’t eat like crap for 5 days, or you’ll feel like it…” Or, something to that effect. So instead of fast food, I found a little deli, grabbed a sub and a bottle of water, and headed to the nearest gas station where I filled up the ST before sitting down at a picnic table to fill up my stomach.

20210801_144706.jpg

Nothing now stood between me and my destination. And so, once more, I swung a leg over the bike, and we continued east. I stopped one more time to admire the engineering marvel that is the Penobscot Narrows Bridge. As you look at the bridge, you can tell something is different about it. Apparently, it's one of only 3 bridges in the country that utilize “a cradle system that carries the strands within the stays from bridge deck to bridge deck, as a continuous element, eliminating anchorages in the pylons.” Thank you Wikipedia. I don’t really know what that means… But I do know it was an impressive structure.

20210801_173030.jpg

At 6:25pm, with 5 minutes to spare, I pulled into the little gravel lot of the hostel. A wave of elation flooded over me. I cut off the bike and just sat there for a moment, feeling the cool air, sensing the quiet stillness of the place. The first thing you see when you arrive is the owner’s home and the “lower garden”. With 2 gardens, a potato patch, a chicken coop, a hand pump well, and several solar panels, the owner and his wife live an entirely self-sufficient life, completely off-grid. I couldn’t believe I’d made it! My home for the night was everything I had hoped it would be…

20210801_182441.jpg

He’s a Maine native, and she’s from Sweden. He bought the property in the mid 1990s and opened the hostel in 2007. Dinner is a communal event, open to everyone staying on the property. That night, we enjoyed a vegetarian fare of butternut squash with corn, Israeli couscous with herbs and black beans, potato salad, and tzatziki. I sort of chuckled to myself when dinner was served. A decade or so ago I may have groaned and said “Dear Lord, give me a burger!” but as our family has expanded our palates, I was delighted with the fare.

20210801_184102.jpg

We ate outside around the fire and discussed all manner of things, beginning with the usual “where are you from, why are you in Maine, etc. etc.” Everyone was astonished that I had come so far in just 2 days, on a motorcycle no less. I thought about the contestants in the recent Iron Butt Rally and didn’t let the comments inflate my ego. After a couple hours of conversation, the sun had set and we were all ready for bed. I made myself a cup of tea made from herbs in and wild flora from around the property, gathered by the owners and set out at night for guests to enjoy. It was delicious and just the night cap I needed to wind down and get ready for bed.

20210801_202316.jpg

My lodgings were humble. Simply a closet of the main house that had been converted into a bedroom. I’m sure when the hostel season ends in September they remove the bed and put stuff in there for the winter. But it was a place to lay my head and for that I was thankful.

20210801_204021.jpg

I lay down, read a few pages, turned out the light and was out in moments.

To be continued...

Last edited:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
Great report! Very engaging and well written. Having grown up on Long Island, I went to many places in New England on vacation and went to college in Boston for a couple years. Thanks for sharing!

Top Bottom