Throttle lag

Bike
2007 ST1300
2007 ST1300A

I have a bit of throttle lag, i.e. the throttle has a small dead travel before the power comes on. Is there any way to adjust this out?

I have owned this bike for several years and it has always had this. I just got used to it, but it would be great to roll on smoothly instead of waiting for that sudden jolt.

Thanks.

Slack in the cables, maybe? There should be two nuts on the throttle housing that will let you adjust the slack:

20190505_142813.jpg

If that's not enough you may have to go to the other end. To get there you'll have to lift the tank and remove the air box.

I have a bit of throttle lag, i.e. the throttle has a small dead travel before the power comes on. Is there any way to adjust this out?
This sounds like play or slack in the throttle cables and not throttle lag. The former can be experienced and checked with the engine off. The latter is experienced with engine on and when the throttle is rolled on.

If the former than adjusting the cables should do the trick. The Honda Owner's manual covers cable adjustment along with their recommendation of the amount of play. I eliminate it. If play is the issue then what works for you works for you.

Back
Top Bottom