Front Brake Pistons

No article to lead me by the nose on replacing the front pads. The service manual says push the pistons in. It doesnt say how. Also what about cleaning the pistons BEFORE I try to push them in... What technique to you all use?????? Thanks Dan

carpevita said:
No article to lead me by the nose on replacing the front pads. The service manual says push the pistons in. It doesnt say how. Also what about cleaning the pistons BEFORE I try to push them in... What technique to you all use?????? Thanks Dan
Dan, I pull the old pads and using a toothbrush and brake fluid I clean the piSTons. Re-inStall the pads and using a blunt inSTrument..I carefully use a screwdriver..push the piSTons in via the pads. You can push the caliper towards the disc and push the piSTons in too. If you have ever topped off the maSTer cylinder make sure you suck out some fluid before you push the piSTons in..

hth

ymmv

yadayada

dond said:
Dan, I pull the old pads and using a toothbrush and brake fluid I clean the piSTons. Re-inStall the pads and using a blunt inSTrument..I carefully use a screwdriver..push the piSTons in via the pads. You can push the caliper towards the disc and push the piSTons in too. If you have ever topped off the maSTer cylinder make sure you suck out some fluid before you push the piSTons in..

hth

ymmv

yadayada

Thanks for the info . So there is no need to take off the two bolts that hold the caliper to the wheel..?

Also, How do you avoid the brake cleaner from getting on the tire if you dont remove the wheel...

Lastly, I thought I read somewhere (think it was from LEO) that the front rotors are thinner than the rear and you shouldnt push the caliper against the rotor to collapse the pistons. Thats why I was looking for another way to collapse the pistons..

Spray some cleaner before you pull the pads (place a towel in the way of the overspay), then use the pad in place to push the pistons all the way in.

Then remove the pad and replace.

Rob Hephner said:
Spray some cleaner before you pull the pads (place a towel in the way of the overspay), then use the pad in place to push the pistons all the way in.

Then remove the pad and replace.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know..When will the questions end....

One more...Do I need to open up the fluid reservoir by the brake lever to extract fluid and allow air to escape as is done with the rear brake procedure?
If so, any hints or lookouts I should know about? Thanks Again Dan

carpevita said:
Thanks for the info . So there is no need to take off the two bolts that hold the caliper to the wheel..?

Also, How do you avoid the brake cleaner from getting on the tire if you dont remove the wheel...
Key word= I

I don't take off the caliper for a pad change.

Brake cleaner? I don't use brake cleaner anywhere near seals/rubber things. I use brake fluid.

Back
Top Bottom