Broken Bolt In Handlebar Weight

I get conflicting info on availability from different parts sites, but hondaparts-direct.com shows them as available for $26 each US. Last time I took one off it felt heavy like steel, I don't think they're aluminum.
What's interesting is I just went and did a 'magnet' test and there is practically no attraction in the bar ends (the little attraction could be the bolt in the center).
If I stick the same magnet on the painted frame, it sticks hard.
I wonder if they are some sort of alloy?

A company makes aftermarket weights using stainless steel. I don't know the stock material but if you remove the paint and polish the weights, they turn grey thereafter. I heard were a zinc alloy.

There are 2 ST1100 handlebar weight versions. They have different size screws (6mm & 8mm) in the handlebar ends. The 6mm version also has a stopper collar, #12. Basically a sleeve in the weight. The weights have different part numbers with only the early weights still available. Looks like the change happened in '95.

6mm screw https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/506c16b8f870023420a2e515/handle-switch-cables

8mm screw https://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/hon/506ca61df870023420a3fac4/switch

Last edited:
I won a pair of HVMPs at a WeSTOC rally many years ago. Excellent product.

John

My 98 ST1100 has non magnetic alloy bar ends.
Always wondered why something refered to as a "weight" was so light, having read this post becomes obvious the actual weight is inside the handle bar.
Awsome.... Every day is a learning day..
Congrats on the bolt removal UP. Being a retired mechanic have had my fair share of broken bolts over the years, smaller the bolt bigger the pain to remove.
Cheers....

Last edited:
What's interesting is I just went and did a 'magnet' test and there is practically no attraction in the bar ends (the little attraction could be the bolt in the center).
If I stick the same magnet on the painted frame, it sticks hard.
I wonder if they are some sort of alloy?
Feels like the inner weights are made of cast zinc (like Matchbox/Hotwheel cars ;) )
Also explains why there is white corrosion and why the end-weight like to rust shut in there...
The outer (visible) weights seem to be made of aluminum...

I won a pair of HVMPs at a WeSTOC rally many years ago. Excellent product.

John
This is what I have on my STs. Agree, nice pieces

Back
Top Bottom