Brake lite housing

STOC #
Can some one please tell me how the tailight assembly is removed on the 04 ST? I am almost mechanically inept. Thanks to this site I was able to repair my front left turn signal. Rocket told me how to take the mirror housing off. What a great help.
Also, has anyone on here tried any thing like shocks to stop the saddle bages from opening so fast. It looks like a small shock (for lack of a term) would fit there to make the doors open slowly. Anyone tried anything?
Thanks
Lynn in Daytona.

Last edited:
Shocks for opening the saddle bags...

I simply just put my thigh in front of the bag as I open it so that it opens against my leg and then slides down as I back away. Just seemed kinda natural to me.

I guess another thing that might work (and be cheaper than shocks and less invasive)...

Use a counter weight attached to a string that runs across to the opening section of the saddle bag. As the bag opens, the string would pull up a counter weight. I don't even think a pulley would be required as long as your string was slick, like fishing line. And to keep your counterweight from interfereing with your contents of the bag, it could be housed in a small tube, like PVC pipe attached to the inside back corner.

Hmmmmm.

That was an idea I had but I had seen on hatches and small doors on cars these small arms that extend like shocks and compress when closed, but not sure I could find ones small enough. The balance thing I did in my closets at my home.
Any idea on getting the tailight cover off?

The VW Jetta has a really nice compression shock thingy they use on their trunks that might be small enough and is certainly compact. I suspect they'd cost alot.

As for the tail light...I'm not sure. I have gone under the rear seat and pulled out the electrical block back there to pick up a dropped screw, and briefly looked for how to change a bulb, but it was hot and I didn't spend any extra time looking for it.

Certainly somebody on the board here can tell us how to rip off the tail light.

Anyone...Bueller....Anyone?

Back
Top Bottom