Bought ST1100 friday

STOC #
I sent a newbie post a week or two ago. Contrary to undoubtedly good advice to get a new 1300, I bought a friend's ST1100 on Friday. I'm psyched--first bike in 30 years! a 1992 wirh 69K miles, absolutely babied by the two POs. I have some questions.

1. I think the bike came with bias plys but now has Dunlop radials. Pressures on the sticker under the seat are 36/42 F/R for the old tires. Do folks still run that with radials? The back is kind of flatter in the middle (the PO told me that was a source of guilt for him--not enough fast turns). What do people like for tires?

2. It crunches going into 2nd. Every vehicle I've ever had does that--maybe it's me. Seriously, what about oil recommendations for low motor wear but good synchro engagement? I think it has Mobil 1 cycle oil in it now.

3. Can I put a serious horn on it without the alternator (unmodified, which I gather sounds like possible trouble) buying the farm? What kind/from where, if so? Where can I mount it?

4. The battery is 5 years old, puts out 11.5 volts with the engine off, and cranking is not exactly enthusiastic. It sounds like battery time--what kind, and again from where? Where's a good online parts source, in general?

5. Fork seals are recent, with beefed up springs and a fork brace. Original rear--any favorites for shock replacements?

6. I'm 6'7", but with a long backbone. Any thoughts about windshields? The stock one's buffeting starts right about neck high.

Last edited:
Eric-Jensen said:
I sent a newbie post a week or two ago. Contrary to undoubtedly good advice to get a new 1300,<snip>

Welcome, I'm relatively new, myself. July of this year.

1. I think the bike came with bias plys but now has Dunlop radials. Pressures on the sticker under the seat are 36/42 F/R for the old tires. Do folks still run that with radials? The back is kind of flatter in the middle (the PO told me that was a source of guilt for him--not enough fast turns). What do people like for tires?

Don't know, My 98 is just getting to 20 K (4 of them mine) and I excercise the edges frequently.

2. It crunches going into 2nd. Every vehicle I've ever had does that--maybe it's me. Seriously, what about oil recommendations for low motor wear but good synchro engagement? I think it has Mobil 1 cycle oil in it now.

Forgive me, but I don't believe motorcycle trannies have synchros in them. I'd suspect wear on the gears, and if it doesn't come with one, I'd be looking into a magnetic drain plug. But that's paranoia from experience with other vehicles.

3. Can I put a serious horn on it without the alternator (unmodified, which I gather sounds like possible trouble) buying the farm? What kind/from where, if so? Where can I mount it?

Oh yeah. I have some FIAMM air horns at home that will be going on after researching the farkles (who came up with that word?) Meep meep doesn't instill much fear in cell phone idiots in SUVs. I've also seen one of the headlight modulators has a switch that activates it when you hit the horn. First rule of survival: Been seen and heard (NO, not loud pipes!)

4. The battery is 5 years old, puts out 11.5 volts with the engine off, and cranking is not exactly enthusiastic. It sounds like battery time--what kind, and again from where? Where's a good online parts source, in general?

Use the search function, I don't know.

5. Fork seals are recent, with beefed up springs and a fork brace. Original rear--any favorites for shock replacements?

Ditto

6. I'm 6'7", but with a long backbone. Any thoughts about windshields? The stock one's buffeting starts right about neck high.

Dang dude! I'm 6'3", so good luck.

How about that Ophelia? I find it ironic The Band and Paul Simon both did Ophelia songs. Spose there was a groupie in NY by that name?

Hey Erik,

Welcome to STridership and to ownership of one of the greatest sport-tourers every built! Enjoy that red ST! I had a '92 for awhile, and I think it was the faSTeST of my ST1100's. :)

Some answers to your questions;

1. You can use either bias or radials on the '92. Sizes are 110/80/18 front and 160/70/17 Rear. A favorite OEM replacement bias tire is the Bridgestone Exedra G547/G548. They give great handling, adequate rain performance, no decel wobble, and reasonable longevity for price. Other options are Dunlop D205 radials, Metzeler Z4 radials, and Avon Azaro 45/46 radials. The tire pressures you have are probably not bad, but many of us that have run the Dunlop radials in the past have increased the front to 42 psi to increase sidewall stiffness. The Avons also should be run at higher pressures, try 42/44 for starters.

2. All ST's have that feature. You can mitigate it by "preloading" the shift lever before shifting, i.e. pull up slightly (to contact point) on the shift lever, then pull in clutch, then complete the shift. Try this and see if it doesn't relieve the problem. The PO probably was using standard Mobil1, which is ok. I get smoother shifts and longer life out of Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle-specific synthetic. Recommended oil change interval is 8K, Amsoil is the only one I've found that will go the distance.

3. Yes, you can put loud auto horns on your ST with no electrical problems. Make sure you operate them through a relay. You can mount them most anywhere you find space, most fashion their own brackets and mount them in front above the radiator. Fiamm horns are the most popular.

4. Sounds like a new battery is due, but you should also inspect the R/R connections and all the connectors coming from the alternator, especially if the PO's were running heated clothing, grips, or other accessories. The connectors have been known to degrade over time. An alternator upgrade procedure is available that puts a post-95 larger, air-cooled alternator in place of the current oil-cooled unit. Just ask.

Good online parts sources include: www.servicehonda.com www.ronayers.com and others.

5. Lots of us just replace the OEM shock with new OEM shocks, which are good for 25-50K miles, depending on how you ride, your load, etc. Probably the most preferred aftermarket rear shock is the Works Performance, which is rebuildable.

6. There are several aftermarket windshield makers. Probably the most popular among ST1100 owners is Clearview, because the maker has spent a lot of time making the shield similar to but better than the stock shield. Talk to them to get sizing correct. Also popular and, I'm told, quite effective, is the addition of a Laminar Lip device to the stock shield to raise the wind flow.

Again, welcome...

Back
Top Bottom