Another Uncle Phil Interesting Running Mystery

Hi Phil, any thoughts on why fuel pumps are failing, high mileage perhaps?
My theory (and it is just a theory- ;)) - I tend to run the tank down pretty low on fuel on long trips.
Since fuel cools the pump, that may be shortening the life of the pump when done repeatedly due to the heat.

I've noticed that there have been quite a few fuel pump issues over the last couple of years with newer fuel pumps. Honda has had recalls on both the Africa Twin and recently with newer Goldwings(Denso pumps). The problems are with the impeller materials deforming and swelling over time which locks up the pumps. Other pump manufacturers may have issues as well.
There isn't much clearance between the impeller and housing and the motor is weak to boot. The original failure that motivated me to write about it 20 years ago was the impeller touching the housing and binding up when it was exposed to heat and the wimpy motor couldn't put out enough torque.

Dunno... I'm notorious to run on fumes, never had a failing pump yet...
But I always see to take on premium and avoid the crappy low octane ethanol sludge whenever possible...

Here in Blighty our standard unleaded E10 95 octane fuel has up to 10% ethanol; and super unleaded (E5, 97 RON) has up to 5%. There's also premium stuff like Shell V-Power which is 99 RON. I mostly use the E10 and give the vehicles a little treat every now and then with more expensive fuel. They say that it has additives to help clean the engine, but so should all fuel!

Martin - Do they put 'corn squeezins' (ethanol) in your gas like they do over here?
Unfortunately yes... fixing CO² statistics... (that this created farming competition between food- and fuel production is a different thing...)
As @Hound wrote should there be E10 & E5, but tests found up to >E20 in some cases...

Back
Top Bottom