Adaptive Headlight Failure Message

For trivia the adaptive head lights are allowed in Europe, Canada and China to make the lights less intrusive to the drivers coming at you. I have read that it is used on autos but I don't know when it started.
It is being considered by the NHTSA, but probably won't happen in my life time.

Sorry if I missed it, but what model/year are you having the issue with? I have a 2020 R1250 GS Adventure with an adaptive light.

What I know... There is a photocell in my TFT that determines the amount of sunlight and turns the headlight on at dusk or cloudiness depending on the amount of ambient light which would correlate to the timing of your error.
The RT doesn't do this, the headlight is always on and I've never seen a difference in the intensity nor is there any mention of this in the manual so I believe it's not the case on the RT as you state for your GS.

New headlight assembly installed and that seems to have cured the failure message problem. Rode to OKC last Wednesday, they installed the headlight in under three hours, and I went back home, dodging thunderstorms all the way back. The RT will out run a cloud if you don't get caught by LEO.
Very happy with Eurotek in OKC. They sent this message thing up the chain of command and the mothership said replace the headlight assembly and sent it to them within three days.
All under warranty.
That headlight assembly is $3000 if you have to pay out of pocket. Probably ordering headlight protector today. I think they look like crap on the bike but not $3000 bad.

About time for new tires at 7K, so which tire is best for the RT?

(DO NOT REPLY TO THE TIRE QUESTION ITS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!)

New headlight assembly installed and that seems to have cured the failure message problem. Rode to OKC last Wednesday, they installed the headlight in under three hours, and I went back home, dodging thunderstorms all the way back. The RT will out run a cloud if you don't get caught by LEO.
Very happy with Eurotek in OKC. They sent this message thing up the chain of command and the mothership said replace the headlight assembly and sent it to them within three days.
All under warranty.
That headlight assembly is $3000 if you have to pay out of pocket. Probably ordering headlight protector today. I think they look like crap on the bike but not $3000 bad.

About time for new tires at 7K, so which tire is best for the RT?

(DO NOT REPLY TO THE TIRE QUESTION ITS A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!)
Good to see they fixed it... I went w/lamin-x film as I didn't like the velcro'd protectors.

oh.. so far Roadsmart IIIs or IVs but I'm not sure that's your problem....

Good to see they fixed it... I went w/lamin-x film as I didn't like the velcro'd protectors.

oh.. so far Roadsmart IIIs or IVs but I'm not sure that's your problem....

I have Roadsmarts in the shop ready to install. Just trying to squeeze all I can out of the Road 5's. 7000 miles on them so far. That is pretty good for what I normally get from a rear although if I were looking at a long ride somewhere they would have already been replaced. Just running locally I can squeeze the last bit to the wear bars. I have removed way too may rears in preparation for an extended trip as I know we all do. Always think I will remount them to get the last bit of use locally but so far that has never happened. I do try to keep some old take offs laying around in case someone might need a tire to get them down the road at least until Tuesday when the dealers start to open again.

I have Roadsmarts in the shop ready to install. Just trying to squeeze all I can out of the Road 5's. 7000 miles on them so far. That is pretty good for what I normally get from a rear although if I were looking at a long ride somewhere they would have already been replaced. Just running locally I can squeeze the last bit to the wear bars. I have removed way too may rears in preparation for an extended trip as I know we all do. Always think I will remount them to get the last bit of use locally but so far that has never happened. I do try to keep some old take offs laying around in case someone might need a tire to get them down the road at least until Tuesday when the dealers start to open again.
Yeah, I wish I would have kept the Tracer as it takes the same tires as the RT... or I could get a new Tracer, RS, F900XR.... hmmmmm

Raymond aka @W0QNX put a car tire on his RT with some slight modifications... awaiting to see how that does over several thousand miles.

Last edited:
I've about decided to stop throwing money at farkles (farkels?) and put those nickels (I wish!) toward offroad training.
However, I DO plan to buy a headlight protector; on the 1250 the adaptive LED headlight is not $3K, but still north of $2K. A hunnerd or two for some protection sounds like a good investment or good insurance; this thing is equally vulnerable on the streets as off, with just a thrown-up stone by whoever or whatever is in front of ya.

Back
Top Bottom