1" risers

Bike
Honda ST1100
I installed some generic 1" risers on mine, like the style in the first pic. Due to the geometry of the installation, the housing would not fit over the ignition switch.
So, I adlibbed a bit. Third and fourth photos show the stock centerpiece forward clip and the dead coathanger I made a replacement from. It's an even inch longer than the stock clip from angled bend to hook portion. I used a nutplate and short screw from my stash of such to retain the cover via the stock bracket hole. Had to remove the little black garnish piece from the switch hole and cut the stock hole out forward...sanded and polished the new hole so it doesn't look whittled/ground on. This allowed the centerpiece to fit into place over the switch. Installing the new hook and nutplate with a stubby screwdriver while holding everything in place with my third hand, it installed securely. The other cover pieces did not need to be disturbed and everything fit back together well. The ignition key contacted the forward edge of the new cutout so I whittled about 1/8" off both sides, sanded and polished it back into shape. Aside from the larger oval hole, it looks fine. Still agonizing over a replacement for the little plastic garnish that was there originally.

Edit: I did have to remove the wire/hose straps from the handlebar and loosen the clutch hose fitting to prevent any strain at the fitting, then clamped them all back using some spare OEM clamps. Only a little readjustment, didn't have to reroute anything with these risers. If you use risers with designed in pull back, you may have to relocate your hoses/harness wires.
1663840940393.png

1663840210110.png

How did Genmar deal with the ignition key opening?
I took my kit to my Honda dealer and they reamed it out a little and you cannot tell it was modified. Plus you have plenty of key to grab hold of as your key is not that far down in the ignition hole of the vanity cover.

I installed some generic 1" riser..........

Edit: I did have to remove the wire/hose straps from the handlebar and loosen the clutch hose fitting to prevent any strain at the fitting, then clamped them all back using some spare OEM clamps. Only a little readjustment, didn't have to reroute anything with these risers. If you use risers with designed in pull back, you may have to relocate your hoses/harness wires.
1663840940393.png
Hello. My risers are the same as silver one in the pictures (or almost the same). Another problem is that I need to reroute the throttle cables. Its cannot throtle when turn left. Can fit the covers from police st1100? I just ask...

Hello. My risers are the same as silver one in the pictures (or almost the same). Another problem is that I need to reroute the throttle cables. Its cannot throtle when turn left. Can fit the covers from police st1100? I just ask...
I've had no problems with either cables or hoses since I added the risers. You may want to check the routing of the throttle cables under the tank cover. That's one of the items I was cautious of and why I did the installation during other maintenance. Just remove the tank cover, rotate your handlebars and locate the source of the tension.

I took the cover off and saved it in case I go back to the original setup. You will be able to see where the cables are tight and re-route them. I had trouble with the choke cable when handlebar is turned to maximum right. I also did this when I replaced the front brake lines with stainless steel braided ones and had them made longer.
7D0CD745-4157-4DEC-88A6-68356836C9F6.jpegFFD00FC3-018B-4DC3-8488-B293912F408A.jpegD6296AE4-1189-4B78-80E3-23E7C04FE2DB.jpeg

Last edited:
The first sensations after installing the 1" risers. It's as if I got on another motorcycle, the body is a bit straighter, the back is more raised. I think I need to restore the saddle to the stock version (it's 2" deeper now). Different sensations when cornering. When turning to the left and leaning, I have to push the handlebars slightly with my left hand and pull slightly with my right hand and vice versa when turning right. With the windshield I have now, the air current hits my helmet harder than in the standard position. The same feeling of stopping more often and straightening the body.

The first sensations after installing the 1" risers. It's as if I got on another motorcycle, the body is a bit straighter, the back is more raised. I think I need to restore the saddle to the stock version (it's 2" deeper now). Different sensations when cornering. When turning to the left and leaning, I have to push the handlebars slightly with my left hand and pull slightly with my right hand and vice versa when turning right. With the windshield I have now, the air current hits my helmet harder than in the standard position. The same feeling of stopping more often and straightening the body.
With the lower saddle you have a lower centre of gravity as well, so that explains the extra cornering effort. How is the rear shock, is it set up properly? The lip for your windshield will stop that wind since you are sitting more upright. I installed highway blades that attach to the tip over covers and those do wonders for long distance touring.

Back
Top Bottom