Great Radio!!!

On one of your previous posts you said that you could. I don't see why you couldn't connect the front and rear speaker outputs in a voltage doubler configuration (negative to negative) and drive the speaker with the 2 positive output wires. Im sure you have good reason for telling me this though, did you learn otherwise after posting that?

I spoke with the product engineer at JBL. I don't recall stating the outputs could be paired. If so please let me know the post number so I can correct the error.

on post number 41:

"You can gang the outputs together to drive a set of 90 watt speakers."

maybey i was reading into that wrong. Either way thats great because it makes my decision easy:-D

I dont know how these people get away with such bogus advertisements check out this "200W" amplifier for motorbikes. Somehow it miraculously draws 2A of current even through the power equation$ tells us that 200W / 13.8V = 14.5A. Its so frustrating because while looking for these amplifiers, nobody quotes RMS values on the motorcycle ones. But that makes me wonder how if the power quoted on the JBL units for instance, is actually 45W. I might have to just build myself one...:-D

This week end I am planning on installing my 4" Polk Speakers [with baffles]. Am thinking of drilling two holes through the fairing front for the lower two speaker holes/screws, but can't figure out any good option to secure the upper holes/screws in order to minimize vibration. Considered boxes, but David Spares never responded to me and I want to get it done. Regardless, am not sure what the boxes would mount to either.

Any thoughts

This week end I am planning on installing my 4" Polk Speakers [with baffles]. Am thinking of drilling two holes through the fairing front for the lower two speaker holes/screws, but can't figure out any good option to secure the upper holes/screws in order to minimize vibration. Considered boxes, but David Spares never responded to me and I want to get it done. Regardless, am not sure what the boxes would mount to either.

Any thoughts

There is no reason to drill holes on the fairing. Just buy the empty hondaline speaker boxes. Call them in the UK and place the order. With shipping it should cost you about $40.00 US.

Here is how you dial them from the USA: 11 44 0 1728 833020

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=216806&postcount=12

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=281892&postcount=13

I dont know how these people get away with such bogus advertisements check out this "200W" amplifier for motorbikes. Somehow it miraculously draws 2A of current even through the power equation$ tells us that 200W / 13.8V = 14.5A. Its so frustrating because while looking for these amplifiers, nobody quotes RMS values on the motorcycle ones. But that makes me wonder how if the power quoted on the JBL units for instance, is actually 45W. I might have to just build myself one...:-D

The other part of ohms law makes it work.
Try "Current squared times resistance" as well.
5 amps squared = 25, times 8 ohms = 200 watts.

They simply use a transformer to make the voltage fit the equation, so in this case the transformer steps up the voltage to 40 volts, and the wattage with that resistance becomes 200 watts!

Most companies advertise total watts, then also watts per channel at 1/4 total watts (4 speakers).
So it is better to see 200 watts than 50 watts because if both are total watts....
The 200 watt units for motorcycle are 50 watts per channel max, which draws 2.5 amps max.

The JBL radio is listed as 45x4 watts (as in 4 speakers or channels), for 180 total watts.

Last edited:
Hey all, Well after many e-mails and phone calls to Propec electronics I finally got through to Todd Allen, He is sending me a new remote, the MC19 for the MBB Mini to replace the useless one it comes with. Best part is he is sending it at no charge. Anyone else who wants to have more function control might want to shoot Todd Allen an e-mail tallen@prospecelectronics.com. I was always very polite in my e-mails and mentioned a few times about the safety issue when using this remote on the bike. I actually don't mind the remote now that I've used it on my last trip, but it will be very nice to have presets!!!!!! Good Luck, Bob

They play games. People see a higher number and think its better.
Power at what thd across what frequency range for how long into what load?
Some specify power at 1khz 10%thd a meaningless number. 200watts implies 5amps into 8ohms. which implies 40 volts. So the power supply boosts the voltage and charges capacitors. This provides the instataneous power but it cannot be sustained. 27watts minus losses can be sustained. Furtunately music is not a constant sine wave and average are peak power are far apart.

So are the presets on this radio still an issue? I need a radio but I don’t want a giant honkin remote unit that’s larger than my GPS. I really like the small size of the remote. Is there another radio out there that has a remote this small that you guys can recommend? I have my speaker boxes on they way and will pick up speakers at the local sound shop. Not sure on the antenna yet since I should probably wait until I get a radio to decide on the antenna. It would be nice to mount it in the glove box but that’s not a huge requirement for me.

Also with this JBL unit, since you cannot use the presets does the unit at least power back up on the station you shut it down selected or do I have to scan for a station everytime I power the unit up.

Last edited:
So are the presets on this radio still an issue? I need a radio but I don’t want a giant honkin remote unit that’s larger than my GPS. I really like the small size of the remote. Is there another radio out there that has a remote this small that you guys can recommend? I have my speaker boxes on they way and will pick up speakers at the local sound shop. Not sure on the antenna yet since I should probably wait until I get a radio to decide on the antenna. It would be nice to mount it in the glove box but that’s not a huge requirement for me.

Also with this JBL unit, since you cannot use the presets does the unit at least power back up on the station you shut it down selected or do I have to scan for a station everytime I power the unit up.

If your going to use the original REM45 mini remote, there are no presets, and it does remember the last station turned on each band. you have two AM bands and 3 FM bands. So in effect you get 2 am presets and 2 fm presets.

The MC19, larger remote, isn't that bad, and if you look at my posts, it can be configured to be very mountable.

I am not aware of any other radio with a remote as small of the one that ships with the MBB-Mini. All of the other remotes are of a similar foot print to the JBL. Some are square, some are long and skiny, the MC19 is kinda sqare with rounded edges. If you chop away the mounting bezel and mount from the rear it isn't really that big, in fact the button size and size of the display charaters is just right. The REM45 was hard to read at arms length.

REM45 mounted in my left faring pocket. ( Has been removed and replaced by the MC19 remote: I didn't like the look, and didn't like not having the presets and having to cycle the unit from the battery at midnight to set the clock.)

attachment.php

What has to be trimmed away to make the MC19 smaller.

attachment.php

How the MC19 looks painted and mounted.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply, you many have mentioned it in this thread but what were the dimensions of the MC19 after you trimmed away the flange around the edge? Thanks again.

Also for those listening through speakers, can your passenger hear it as well (assuming the shield is up)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom