Old Enough To Remember?

LOL, I still remember my parents first telephone number from the 50’s, Bellflower, LA suburb. Letter and number combo, no area code. TO-66804, TO stood for Torrey.

.View attachment 331988
And party lines where everybody could listen in ... ;)

And party lines where everybody could listen in ... ;)
My aunt and uncle had a party line until about 10 years ago. They lived in a very remote area on a ranch and all the local farms and ranches were on the same line. Each phone service had a unique ring so they knew who was being called. No secrets were discussed that you did not want everyone to know about. Writing letters were the only way to keep things private.

LOL, I still remember my parents first telephone number from the 50’s, Bellflower, LA suburb. Letter and number combo, no area code. TO-66804, TO stood for Torrey.

.View attachment 331988

My dad’s office number was 92. That’s it. Just 2 digits. You’d pick up the receiver and a nice lady would ask, “Number, please.”

John

Having to replace the clutch on a semi automatic beetle , now there's a challenage

.View attachment 331988
My sister lives in my parents house now and still has the original phone number on the landline from when they moved there early fifty’s

.View attachment 331988
We didn't have a full line back then, it was a "quarter phone" with 4 residents sharing one landline... meant while one party was yapping, non of the others could make nor receive a call...
Still remember the relay box clicking its sequence while holding the button for getting the dial tone...

Ours was Gridley7- 6662 until a local Chicken-a-Go shop mistakenly put our number on their card. When people started calling non stop trying to order food from my father he blew his top! We got a new number.

Top Bottom